Vox AC10 as a Bedroom Amp

aleiberman

Would the new Vox AC10c1 be considered a good bedroom amp? I play single coils and looking for nice clean with some breakup occasionally.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I say no. It's a damn loud little amp. Loudest 10 watts you'll ever hear.

I use an overdrive and keep the volume at just audible, and that's as close to bedroom level as it's going to get. The family can still hear it.

Bobby D

I just got the AC10, and am in love with it. It's a loud little amp, and I am gonna use it for small club gigs as well as a home amp. Glorious natural tube OD with that amp, and yes it gets pretty loud. Use your master volume....

johnh

I don't know about bedrooms, but I played my first AC10 at the weekend, and I immediately started figuring out what I could sell so that I could buy one.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
My AC10 I can get away with playing at wife-friendly volume. But it is far from breaking up. (talking gain and master on 2...I find the gain turned up with the master way down kinda buzzy in a not-good way.) This amp wants the master at least turnt up to noon to really open up. While that's not peeling paint off the walls loud, it is much too loud for my esposa. That said, it's definitely not too loud to annoy my neighbors during daylight hours.

mikey69

I think you just have to go play one to know for sure, how efficient the circuit and speaker are and how fussy the volume knob is ..I think a 10 in speaker for home use is ideal to keep the volume at reasonable levels . Personally I no longer go over 5 watts for home use

I sold it in part because it's not a good bedroom amp. It can do moderate loud TV volume well, but not the quiet dead of night kind of volume. It goes from soundless to the that loud volume quickly on the dial.

The quiet semi-lackluster tones from my AC30 are just as usable at comparable volume tithe AC10, so for me t didn't serve the purpose of being a practice amp version of my larger amp.

blaster

Yes, I use it only in my home. It has a master volume and you can dial in great tones. I had everything from an AC30 to AC4HW and this one fits my needs the best. For a small amp with a 10" speaker it sound fat and clear. I love it.

Joshlespaul1952

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, I use it only in my home. It has a master volume and you can dial in great tones. I had everything from an AC30 to AC4HW and this one fits my needs the best. For a small amp with a 10" speaker it sound fat and clear. I love it.
Not to derail the thread, but how do you like the AC10 in comparison to the AC4HW?

blaster

While I did like the AC4HW1, it lacked bass / bottom end at lower volumes. A high volumes it sounded better but it was too loud for home use. The AC10 has more chime and the reverb sounds pretty good for what I like. The fullness of the AC10 made me buy it.

brittwin

Gold Supporting Member
I think the fully closed back lends itself to just a well balanced sounding amp. I played this amp repeatedly for multiple weekends until I knew it was an amp I could not live without. I own the AC10 now and have no regrets. The novelty and sparkle has not worn off.

It's just a great amp.. not just a great amp "for the money"

It makes me get lost in my playing.

KissTone

Silver Supporting Member
It's a great at-home amp. I really like the sound of it . . . but mine died within 48 hours of turning it on. I'm currently waiting for its replacement to arrive from the vendor I purchased from.

Caveat emptor: The AC10's internal circuit makes a Fender Blues Junior circuit look like a HiWatt layout in comparison. Flimsy. SMT components. It's best not to think too much about it and just enjoy the amp's tone.

And don't worry about upgrading the speaker. It's a fine sounding Celestion. Tubes, however, are cheapies.

Trending Topics