Vox AC10C1 thoughts

Discussion in 'Reviews of amps and cabs' started by manishthapa, Sep 12, 2016.

1. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

Hello all,

Was planning to get a vox ac10c1.

Could you please list some of your personal opinions,
    Pros
    Cons
    This will help me make a decision.

My scenario is, I mostly play in my home basement, 11x14 Sqft, and play in restaurants a few times a month.
    Mostly play blues rock.
    Already have a Laney cub head paired with a Panama 2x10 cab and a fender twin amp pro tube (which is so good and too loud for my needs)

Looking forward for inputs.

2. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

FWIW, I own a couple of AC4tv's, AC15's, and AC30's. If I could play live with the AC4, I would, cause I absolutely love that amp. I tried out an AC10, but the extra clean headroom wasn't really there, it's a single 10" (should've been 2-10") and the reverb was not like a 15 or a 30 IMO.
    Long story short, I'm playing through my AC15 at home the past few days. It's just plain 'right' for me, 2 channels, great reverb and tremolo, good clean headroom, better bottom with the 12", hangs with a 'reasonable' drummer and sounds better louder.
    Honestly, if you're going Vox, pick up a nice used AC15 and re-tube it, cost you the same or less as a new AC10.
    Oh, and don't forget your $ for the footswitch. Unlike Fender amps, they're not included in the purchase.

sandcastle and manishthapa like this.
  3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Love my Ac10C1. It is not exactly cut from the same cloth as the rest of the AC line, I own an AC15 as well, great amp. But I keep finding more tones from my AC10, just fun to rock.

Pros - master volume, not perfect, but good to have
    lightweight
    takes pedals as well as any other VOX
    reasonable volume and headroom
    plenty gain, if you need it
    great price
    Cons - a little bassy
    not incredible headroom, it cant keep up with metal drums
    OK reverb, not special, just servicable

other wise I feel it has been a great small amp that can gig and hang with a rhythm section

I disagree that there is bass lack from this amp, it is closed back and has tendency to have too much bass.

Like any tube amp, you learn its ways and exploit them, time with it has only improved my opinion of it.

manishthapa and gigsup like this.
  4. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

T
    thank you for the response.

5. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

First of all thank you for the response. I got mine Recently.....LOVE IT...... My main go to amp was Laney cub head via Panama 2x10....... The AC10 is a delight to play, I agree with most of the point you mentioned. I did have the opportunity to play the 15 and the 30 at a friend whom I jam with often....so for me ...... The 10 worked out good........I noticed that strat pairs with it really well....... There's something special about that combination. Although my Xaviere xv910 hit the spot well too. Somehow the raw sound of the p90 is just amazing with vox ac10. Although I'd like to mention that playing in low bedroom level isn't that attainable in comparison to the Laney cub head which ofcourse has the option of playing at below 1 watt. Nevertheless I love this amp and look forward to many merry musical moments with it.

Page of Cups and cubistguitar like this.
  6. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Great, I hope it serves you well. I have made the same observations, works great with my Strats and just breathes fire with my P90 Gibson. It has a good master volume, but it doesn't get low enough to talk over ( or rather it will , but it doesn't keep the feel), it just screams and I like it!!

manishthapa likes this.
  7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

There's a killer deal on eBay for a manufacturer refurbished one for $360. I may snag it. I don't need it, but for that price, it sounds like a steal.

manishthapa and cubistguitar like this.
  8. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

That is a good price, Jordan, you are not going to believe it, I got mine from eBay, from riffcity for 260+45 shipping. So I guess I made a good score.

jordane93 likes this.
  9. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

I just bought an AC10C1 this week after selling my Blues Jr....in the store I played the Vox side by side with a Bassbreaker and a HT5...I got the coolest sounds out of the Vox so that's what came home with me. I'm not the most seasoned, accomplished or knowledgeable player...still pretty new to guitar...but the Vox makes playing fun at "no stank eye from the wife and kids" levels and seems to get pretty darn loud if need be. I have an EHX Soul Food that pairs pretty well with it too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    manishthapa likes this.
  10. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

I, on the other hand, chose the Bassbreaker 15, lol. I had an AC10 and, while I LOVED the chimey cleans, could just not find an overdriven sound I was happy with. No matter what od pedal I tried (and I tried quite a few), it just sounded a bit fizzy. Plus, on low E notes, it had a tendency to buzz. I tried the BB15 and fell in love with it immediately so traded the Vox back in (GC return policy). I still have a small Vox VT20 modeling amp that I play at home to get my AC15/AC30 sounds which it does really well.

manishthapa likes this.
  11. satchie

satchie Member

I made some video , the AC10C1 is a great amp , no problem for mine.

manishthapa likes this.
  12. satchie

satchie Member

Another vidéo

manishthapa likes this.
  13. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I had some odd noises coming from mine and thought to myself, oh well, the cheap chinese tubes must be getting screwy.

I was right, they were getting screwy andit is like a new amp with these tubes, I had some old reflector 6p14p-EVs and a philips miniwatt for the V1 12ax7, a Baldwin in the other. Much bigger tones, louder, and lots of bottom and midrange, more headroom before breakup, smoother less buzzy gain, altogether a must do for the amp. Can't wait to use it at rehearsal. I have the feeling it will work even better with the drums.

Put some old glass in it, you will love it. I think the speaker is a good match already.

14. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Agreed about tubes. I know of no other manufacturer that uses worse sounding tubes than Vox. They are just absolute crap. I am not a tube snob, but I can't imagine worse sounding tubes.

cubistguitar likes this.
  15. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Yeah I was amazed how cheaply made the stock tubes were. They almost all cracked a little around the pins while extracting, I guess they aint for pullin and rollin.

I guess I'm not surprised they cheap out on the tubes, but the difference is remarkable and I dont feel I have heard the amp clearly until now.

16. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Yes, I have never experienced such a big tonal difference between stock tubes and replacements as I have with Vox amps. It is a must in order to hear what the amps REALLY sound like. I didn't even save the originals for backups with my Vox's. Right in the trash...EL84's are inexpensive.

cubistguitar likes this.
  17. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Supporting Member

I've had an AC10 for a little over 1 year. I installed a Greenback 10, JJ pre tubes and N.O.S. EL-84's.
    I play it all the time. Great sounding little amp for the $$$!
    The bass control on mine went out w/ 1 month left on the warranty so I got it replaced for free.
    I've used it at band practice numerous times and played a few private parties and have gotten compliments on the tone

18. GA20T

GA20T Member

This is good to hear. I've been shopping 6p14ps for my AC30 which has developed a bit of blurriness and a lot of low end noises. I've swapped out the preamp section a bunch of times with good old 12ax7s (Phillips, RCA, GE, Mullard) but almost zero notable difference to be had there.

19. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    Bit late to this thread. Im wondering if you've had the opportunity to play the new AC10 with a band. How does it keep up with a loud drummer and bass player. I was in the same dilemma as you regarding which Vox to get and I ended up with the AC15 C1X with the Celestion Blue speaker. Its a great amp! Great chimey cleans with single coils and crunchy drives with P-90s and humbucks. Sounds just right in the mix in a band situation. Been having a lotta fun with my AC15 playing medium size clubs here in Kathmandu.