Vox AC15/30 + EVM12L = Blasphemy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edi_87, Mar 2, 2012.

1. edi_87

edi_87 Member

Have anyone tried this combination? Doesn't seem popular at all.. Any thoughts?

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I have a TA-15 that does an AC15. I didn't think it had enough top end bite with a larger dustcap speaker, although I've never tried an EV with it. I'm running a Retro 30, and fine tuned the topend with some preamp tube rolling.

It's pretty articulate as far as that kind of tone goes. 'Cleans up nice with a roll back.

3. edi_87

edi_87 Member

thanks. anyone else?

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

If you want bottom end and detail then try a Vos with a Fane. Has more of a British tone, weigh less... and some Voxes (and other amps of Vox like design) came with Fanes too, so it's a tried combo.

5. edi_87

edi_87 Member

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I got this deal to buy 2 EVM12L's in very good shape for 300$, which is a great deal, especially in this part of the world..
    I've always wanted to try the EVM12L's but now I'm gravitating towards a vox-centered rig, hence the dillema..

6. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Depends on what you're going for... I've had two AC15s and have two 12Ls, but I never tried them together.

If you are looking for something somewhat like a Celestion Blue but with a less aggressive top end and more bottom end, the Weber Blue Dog or Silver Bell would be decent choices. I'd go for a 50W ceramic Blue Dog with pre-Rola.

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Oops... just read your last post. Man... for $300, I'd probably grab those 12Ls if they aren't blown and you can verify it. Even if they don't turn out to be your favorite speakers with Vox type amps, they are incredible speakers for many uses and that's a great deal by USA standards. Since it seems like gear often goes for two times US prices in Europe, I'd put that in the 'scorching' category.

8. edi_87

edi_87 Member

Thanks, I figured the same and grabbed the 12L's.. I hope everything's good with them, at least that's what the seller claims.. Still, I'll have 2 weeks to figure that out :)

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Possibly the 500W rating of these would make them a bit neutered in a lower power amp, but I'm sure the bottom of the EVs would balance the Vox well.

10. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

They will be great with a Vox rig, but heavy.