Vox AC15: Celestion Blue or G12H30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by freaksho, Jan 24, 2012.

1. freaksho

freaksho Member

in the next few months i will most likely grab an AC15hw combo to downsize and be more portable. trying to decide whether to go with the 1x model (Blue) or just the standard Greenback and swap out for a nice G12H30. reading up on this there looks to be a near consensus on Blues for AC30 2x12 config, but less opinion on the AC15 1x12 setup.

my main concern with a Blue is that it might be too boxy and middy in a 1x12 package, and maybe the G12H30 will give me a fuller sound.

and if you do think G12H30 then which one: current Chinese? Heritage? 70th Anniv? or even a clone, like say the WGS Reaper?

2. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

I have a blue in mine, sounds way better than the green back that came in it.
    My girl friend has an ac30 with g12h30's,IMO the blues sound better

3. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

The Blues lack low end. The G12H30 will have more low end then the Blue.

*enter someone saying "well my Blues have a ton of low end"*

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

can you unpack the word 'better' for me a bit.

yeah, i had a feeling. but is getting that low end worth the difference in the other parts of the spectrum you think?

5. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Unfortunately, my friend, that is for you, and only you, to decide. :p

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah, i know. i wish i could try both. honestly i am leaning G12H30 because i have a WGS Reaper HP (50W) in a 1x12 cab now and i don't think i'd be happy with even less low end.

i have also heard the Reapers have a bit less highs and lows than the typical G12H30, which makes me lean toward the real deal, and probably the Heritage in particular.

7. mAx___

mAx___ Member

One vote for the Heritage G12H here. :D

tweedcab likes this.
  8. freaksho

freaksho Member

have you tried a Blue by chance? or a different G12H even?

9. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Are you playing with a band? also what is your style (strummer, lead,)?

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I wouldn't worry to much about boxiness with a Blue in a 1x12.

I'd focus more on the tone your going for. You know what the Blue does so if you want that true Voxy chime, that's your choice. Greenbacks are also an all-time classic rock 'n' roll speaker. Can't really go wrong, just a matter of preference.

Whichever one you go with, don't give up (if you're buying them new) until you play the hell out of that amp & really break the speakers in... I know this to be particularly true of the Blue. They can sound a bit stiff until they're bludgeoned for a while.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

11. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

If you go to the Celestion website and pull up the frequency response of both speakers, they're nearly identical due to similar cone construction. The main difference is the power rating and the magnet. You will find the 15w Blue to be way more sensitive and break up earlier in the AC15 than the G12H30 which is rated at 70w and doesn't reach it's sweet spot unless the amp is cranked.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah a band, and i'm the only guitar so both rhythm and lead parts, though no long virtuoso solos. style? god i dunno yet lol, it's a a new band and we're only just writing songs now. maybe rock/indie/punk/prog/pop. the sound is heading toward angular, melodic, fairly aggressive, cutting and uptempo - what might happen if Gang of Four and early U2 crashed tour buses, maybe. using a Tele when i need maximum bite and a LP with brightish vintage output hb's when i need more balz. also use an FD2 when smoother middy lead lines are required.

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

i actually don't really know what the Blues do, relative to the G12H at least. they're both supposed to have some chime, right? the only piece of equipment mentioned in this thread i have any familiarity with is the Reaper HP (i've been a classic Marhsall/Les Paul tone guy up to now but i'm looking to go a whole new direction in this band just to mix it up). i could just take a blind guess and have a 50% chance of success, but i thought maybe a few opinions will increase my odds to at least 60/40 or something. :)

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Blue is such a better speaker, like comparing Ferrari's to Yugo's. I think the Anniversary sucks, not a fan at all.

15. surfhard

surfhard Supporting Member

Get the AC15HW1 then put in a Celestion Gold. Same general tone as the Blue but more low end and less likely to get blown.

16. freaksho

freaksho Member

you don't say? huh, didn't think of that.
    (again, not familiar with the Gold either. it's clear i really need to try more things.)

17. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

From what you described I would go blue all the way. I wouldn't worry about a lack of low end when playing with a band. The blue should put you right where you want to be in the mix. Especially if you are the only guitar.

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

cool, man. thanks for advice. and to everyone else.

i can't help but wanting to hear more about the Gold. anyone do this in a 1x12 AC?

19. mAx___

mAx___ Member

I had English Blues in my AC30CC2x and also played my AC30H2 through them. Great sounding but I wasn't getting the sound I was after with them. The Heritage is the only G12H I was intereted in, don't know about the rest but I'd get the one that most resembles the real thing. I'm curious about the Scumback version of it though...

20. surfhard

surfhard Supporting Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Blue. This amp was made for it.

I just happened to have a Gold to try out and thought it sounded great.

Either way I think you are better off getting the AC15HW1 as it is $250.00 less and then buying an English made Blue or Gold. Then you have an extra Greenback for the same price as the AC15HW1X. Just my opinion. But I would not turn down a good deal on the 1X either.