Vox Ac15 channels

quadrogong

I'm a longtime Marshall player and now am enjoying my first Vox
( AC15 w the greenback speaker)

Do u use the TOP BOOST or NORMAL input on your Vox amp?
Both give me good dirt, it seems like the normal channel is a little smoother, or closer to the Marshall tone that I'm use to,
But they're both kind of ok.
I like a Page or Townsend type vibe, light to medium overdrive, warmth..

Just curious which u use for your basic rock tones ..
And any tips or settings advice
I'm a Matshall player so long that anything else is a little new to me..
Thnx

Kevin

IronChefChris

used the top boost when I first got the amp thinking it has better eq and whatnot but then used the normal channel accidently and found it sounds better to my ears and takes pedals much better so I only use the normal now

radicool

I use both. I have a volume pedal with 2 outputs - one is always on, one is controlled by the pedal. I plug my effects into the normal channel from the always-on jack, and use the volume pedal to put as much top boost in as I want. It works pretty well.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I use both. I have a volume pedal with 2 outputs - one is always on, one is controlled by the pedal. I plug my effects into the normal channel from the always-on jack, and use the volume pedal to put as much top boost in as I want. It works pretty well.
I did this too for a while and it worked great.

Cirrus

I tend to stick with the normal channel when I'm playing gigs because it's more dynamic, thicker and takes pedals better. When recording though the Top boost is a nice feature to have - it doesn't have that much more gain on tap but it's got tighter bass, more compression and pushes the upper mids more which gives you a tone that stays forward in a mix quite nicely.

quadrogong

Yes! Normal seemed to respond better to my style, easier to control my tone w the volume dial, just more like the type of subtle OD I seek..
I feel like I have better control, and it feels closer to my old 50 wt half stacks as far as the type of break up I get.
To be honest, I only really understand a few amps, I've yet to really get a handle on everything w these, I don't think I've even touched the " top boost" control.

Monotremata

I use both it just depends on what I like that particular day hehe..

My 'normal' dirt sound is my Tele->Boss HM-2->Normal channel cranked to 10.
The Top Boost channel is really picky about gain pedals, so if I use that its Tele->LPB-1 booster on 10->Top Boost channel at like 3:00.. Sounds pretty similar, aside from the HM-2's scooped metal sound, but I can get it pretty close dialing in the Vox's EQ..

For 'rock' sounds, you really cant go wrong with either one just cranked wide open.. The normal channel will let you back off the grit just by lightening up your picking or using the volume knob on the guitar and it is probably the most beautiful 'classic' crunch Ive ever heard.

Before I got the AC15 my main amp was an 82 JCM800 and the Vox's dynamics and response to my hands just blew me away when I got it home and started playing..

GuitarArt1980

With my AC15HW I jump the channels and keep the Top boost bass/treble at half and mix the TB and normal channel to taste. My ASAT gets more normal and my Sheraton II gets more top boost.

This is also pretty much the way I used to run a Marshall plexi 4-input clone I had

Trending Topics