Vox ac15 + Fuzz

CaprioM85

i have a Saturn reverb that loves every pedal I have. I also have an ac15 that is the pickiest amp I ever come across. That said, it's still my favorite amp I have ever owned, but one thing I have not been able to make compatible is a fuzzbox. I have tried several Muff variations, with best results from a Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head, but kinda not awesome. I have tried the Fulltone '70 and it was underwhelming. Kinda looking to JHS Firefly right now but am completely open to suggestions or at least explanations why my ac15 doesn't want to see a fuzzed up signal.

Godspeed64

I'm using a Mini Bone with my AC. The SSBS TAFM is a fantastic choice with the AC as well. In fact it's the only fuzz that has so easily worked with the AC at first plug.

I don't fancy fuzz face circuits and muffs with Vox amps, and your findings pretty much tally with mine. The best muff to have worked out for me was the blunderbuss musket.

Shoegazers A

I have a AC30 BM that is modded so it is like a "normal" AC30 but with the bright input beeing used. It is picky as hell with overdrives. I found the Fulltone Soulbender to work great. But I use the fuzz "drive" at minimum and have a OCD after it set to low drive as well. The combination is killer but I can use the both of them as stand alone. Many options. But togehter... Just perfect!

Organtis

Have you tried the swollen pickle ?

I think the tone filter and compression settings make it pretty versatile.

But I don't think you are the only one who had issues with Vox and Fuzz.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I have found Tonebender-style fuzzes (particularly Mark I and 1.5) get along pretty well with my AC15C1X. One of the usual suspects on my board is the Lovepedal MkIII (it's a Tonebender Mk I circuit with Si transistors instead of Ge.)

Highway Chile

I have a 90s ac15tbx. It's not my main amp, but I've owned it for 20 years and have gigged it with a 69 pedal. Worked fine. I also have not had any issue with my other fuzz, a large Dunlop Hendrix fuzzface, but I have never gigged with that pedal and the vox amp. The Vox sound is kind of bright at lower volumes (especially with the blue alnico speaker that my amp has). The fuzzface will work best with the amp cranked up (do not use master volume) to the distortion zone, or stacked with an tube screamer. YMMV.

paulitk

I had better luck with the Black Russian Big Muff on my AC15, than I did a standard USA Big Muff Pi, or Little Big Muff, and my DBA Fuzz War was a disaster in it. Completely unruly, and took way too much volume to sound even decent.

The Rat was probably the only dirt pedal that sounded great at any setting, almost any volume and I could get some really good fuzz tones with it.

jpuva

+1 on the Scarab. I use an AC15 and have gone through 5 fuzzes this year and fell in love with the Scarab. Its big sounding but is still able to cut through a band mix. And The Fat and Bias dials give you lots of control. I'm happy

misa

Silver Supporting Member
I tend to prefer brighter/cutting fuzzes with an AC. Off the top of my head I've really liked a Maestro FZ-1a clone and a DOD Carcosa. If you want to keep it Spaceman, the Titan II sounds awesome through the AC. For bigger and more mellow, a Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian has stuck around.

I've tried many, but things have tended to settle with this assortment.

caspa

i have a Saturn reverb that loves every pedal I have. I also have an ac15 that is the pickiest amp I ever come across. That said, it's still my favorite amp I have ever owned, but one thing I have not been able to make compatible is a fuzzbox. I have tried several Muff variations, with best results from a Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head, but kinda not awesome. I have tried the Fulltone '70 and it was underwhelming. Kinda looking to JHS Firefly right now but am completely open to suggestions or at least explanations why my ac15 doesn't want to see a fuzzed up signal.
I'm surprised that the full tone 70s was underwhelming... the only fuzz I could have get along with my AC15 was the Silicon Fuzz Face mini.

Muffs sounded really bland, buzzarounds were too distortiony and Scarab deluxe was just bad and honky/overdrivey.

Go for Tonebenders with Vox amps. Also, it's really no help with an AC15, but going into a low gain input helps a ton.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 90's AC15. I've found that fuzz and overdrive pedals with a midrange emphasis don't work well, but pedals with a scooped mid do well. For example, my EHX Big Muff Pi sounds good with it.

Jules-RM

Muff: The Pelican Pelitaur sounds VERY good through one, especially the muff like side. My Wren Eye See Pi also sounds great, if you don't mind sounding like Siamese Dream, it's really hard not to.

Fuzz Face: Dunlop Jimi FF JHF1 (the big bluish silver one) also sounds really good when stacked with an OD or MIAB.

Other: The Buffalo FX stuff sounds incredible through a Vox, a little pricy, but man its good. Evolution and Power Boost 18v are currently on my board now. Rats go well in general, a little too much mids for my taste tho.

The problem with Voxes is the mids, too scooped or too boosted doesn't work well. A modest mids bump helps, but not like a TS9.

p.j.

The Walrus Audio Janus sounds good through my AC15. I have it in the 1st mode w/ the bass engaged. Joystick fuzz and tremolo in one pedal...what's not to like!?

JBassTeleGit

My AC15c1 is picky with different pedals at different volumes. As someone mentioned, bright at low gain/volume and darkens up at higher gain/volume.

My Euphoria (set to smooth/low gain, always on if there will be rock) evens out the results as the last pedal in my gain chain. The Ac15 set to have a bit headroom left. Makes any fuzz I've tried usable but shaves of some character of the fuzzes though.

Dennis E.

Gold Supporting Member
I have an AC15 that has an EF86 channel, and that channel gets along well with pretty much every fuzz I throw at it. But it also has a 12ax7 Top boost channel, and that one is more picky.

In the Top boost channel I've had success with the Clusterfuzz, Colorsound Overdriver clones, SS/BS Mini, and BA Fuzz Mutant. There are others, but those stand out to me.

Good luck!

Trending Topics