Vox AC15 - giggable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sgguitarzz, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

I am curious if this amp would be realistically giggable in small bars/clubs with maybe 100-150 people. I play a wide range of material and I am sure there is limited headroom. Would it be enough to get by in small places like this. i would love the AC30 but it is so damn heavy and might actually be too big for some of these small stages. Anyone out there gigging these?

2. guitars4god86

guitars4god86 Member

Depends on how much clean headroom you want. One of my bandmates has one and it works just fine for us playing crowds of 250+... If you want it all clean, then I'd say no. If you're okay with the amps natural overdrive, then you'd be just fine. It's a loud amp, but it's dirty when it's loud. It also gets very very bright the more you turn it up. So be careful not to make people's ears bleed - there's a fine line between Vox "chime" and ear-piercing brights...

3. sgguitarzz

Talk about fine lines. The AC15 may be just below enough power and the AC30 probably just too much (though I love how it sounds). I wish I could afford both lol.

4. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

sgguitarzz, i'm thinking about the same thing, and weighing my options. i dig the 1x12 format of the 15, but would like an fx loop and the assurance that i'd be happy in a gigging situation.

the greenback is a great speaker in the amp, but not nearly as efficient as some other similar speakers. a speaker with higher efficiency may solve the volume issue. maybe a private jack?

as for the fx loop, i'm still not sure.

5. sgguitarzz

I was thinking about the speaker option as well David. A more efficient speaker might be enough to bring it over the top. Has anyone modded theirs in any way to do this. Any speaker recommendations? I like the Eminence speakers. I used to have an Eminence Governor that I loved. I also wonder if you put this on a stand to get it up higher off the ground and closer to your ear maybe it would not have to be run so hard to be heard (at least by me).

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've gigged with my AC at a very small intimate wedding and a 200 person bar (miced of course). It's a pretty versital amp.

7. bynt

bynt Member

Exactly, word for word. I love them, but they're not good for clean chordal work. I was going to buy my buddy's because he hated it with a PRS (humbuckers) for rhythm stuff (it broke up too quick) but for lead... yum. I just couldn't swing the cash at the time.

8. sgguitarzz

Well I would not be using a mic on it for sure and I do need some degree of clean. I love that broken up sound but not for everything.

9. rouss

rouss Member

Eminence wizards is a very efficiant speaker. Its british tone also and not rediculously expensive. about 103db that could help with headrom

10. sgguitarzz

Anyone know the efficiency rating on the Celestion that it comes with?

11. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

If you want clean headroom then it really depends on how loud your drummer is. I gigged with one in two different bands, one with a light handed drummer, and the other with a guy who was using electronics. In both situations it just hit the sweet spot before breakup and had great dynamics as well as tone. Any louder and the dynamics flattened out and I lost what I was looking for in the cleans.

12. sgguitarzz

Here is an interesting review from someone off of Amazon:

By
    TDR - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Eminence The Wizard 12" Guitar Speaker 16 ohm
    I picked up a Vox AC15C1 amp a while back but was never very happy with the Celestial Greenback speaker that came in it. I knew when I bought it that it was the cheap chinese version of the Classic and legendary GB that was produced in the UK and are in so many professional rock gawds speaker cabs. So building a 2x12 speaker cab was always my plan to add to the AC15C1 amp. I also like the way 2x12 and 4x12 cabs sound with mixed speakers. So I got both the Eminence 12" Wizard and Red Fang speakers for my cab. WOW is all I can say. The AC15C1 amp is a good amp in stock form, just with a cheap speaker. Adding the Eminence speakers made this amp go from good to GREAT!! Not just louder, but with far better articulation and headroom. Way less feedback allows for louder playing without hum, squeel and all that crap. If your a tone chaser/addict there a lots of realy great and inexpensive amps out there now that will sound unbelevable with a speaker upgrade. These speakers were one of my best buying decisions in a long time as far as my musical equipment goes.

13. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

the greenback is approx. 97 db, if i remember correctly. the wizard is 103db, and the private jack (based on the greenback) is 101db.

either emi speaker would give you significantly more volume than the celestion. i've had a wizard in the past, and it was insanely loud. not sure how it would sound in an AC - style amp, though.

14. sgguitarzz

The Red fang would be a great replacement except that it costs 3x as much (almost $300). That is just crazy.

15. feet

feet Supporting Member

Perhaps a lower gain tube in the first position may be of since help, say an 12ay7. Assuming you won't need its fully distorted tones. I would try that first.

16. sgguitarzz

Thanks feet. While that would probably affect the level of distortion I don't think it would not affect volume level in the way a speaker change would.

17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

It's gotta be mic'd if you want any cleanish sound from the amp.

I put a 5751 in V1 and it helped a lot. I also got a set of JJ EL84's from Eurotubes that were rated for "maximum" headroom and the amp was nice and loud for stage volume with a medium hitting drummer... but it still can't carry a gig without being mic'd IMHO unless you're playing to a coffee house with 25/30 people in it. Just my two cents.

18. sgguitarzz

While the tube change might lower distortion some I think the speaker swap would make a greater difference in usable volume.

19. Duffy

Duffy Member

On South bank of Susquehanna River in North Centra
    If you go with the Wizard for "maximum" sensitivity, you will gain 5dB.

That is a lot of dB increase and will allow the amp to sound "way" louder than it does now.

I have an AC15c1 stock but haven't gigged with it so I can't say how it would do on stage, but it is a strong fifteen watts.

Also, mentioning that it might sound too bright when cranked up, there is a "tone cut" knob on the top boost channel that you can use to remove excess brightness. The eq is also very effective and backing off on the treble would definitely help.

I would try to personally get the highest sensitivity speaker I could afford, such as the Wizard, and go with that; thinking that my volume increase is going to be very distinct.

When you put in a speaker that has five decibels of sensitivity increase it is, I believe, going to have a major affect on how loud that amp sounds. Plus that Wizard should not have a lot of speaker distortion.

I think, in my opinion, that this route would be very sensible and produce very good results. You might be surprised at how loud it actually gets and find that it is sufficient for almost all situations, without a mic. Possibly the drummer will wind up to be frantically waving you down - which is always better than having him yell at you, "Hey. Why don't you get a real amp!". You can always turn it down. Which brings up the idea of getting a more powerful amp in the first place.

Another idea might be to check out a Blackstar Club 40 combo. Those are about 699, close in price, and are impressive amps with a lot more tonal control than the Vox. They were designed by some dudes that used to design amps for Marshall. They have two channels with two voices each, plus the "infinite" tone shaping knob, ISF or something, and some other sound shaping buttons, plus the eq. This amp would have a lot more power with almost three times the watts. I believe that they are also a Korg product. These have a really decent clean channel with two voices and a totally awesome overdrive channel, also with two voices. I have played the amp a few times and plan on going back to the place and playing it again soon. Maybe I'll get one, but I have a Peavey sixty watt 6505+ combo that blasts the windows when turned up only half way. I get my clean sounds out of a different amp.

I hope this helps you out a little. In the end, whatever you do to the Vox I don't think it will really roar like a more powerful amp, and for the cost of the Vox and a speaker upgrade there are some other great amps available at the same price.

20. sgguitarzz

Thanks Duffy you may just be right about that.