Vox AC15 Heritage vs Boutiques

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by impactblue, Sep 15, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

How does it fair against other EL84 boutique amps? Bad Cat Cub II, Matchless Lightning, Dr Z Maz 18 etc....????

2. impactblue

impactblue Member

Thanks for your reply man. How high gain can it get? If I bought just the head...what cab could you recommend for me other than the original cab?

Cheers man

3. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

I'm selling a AC15H1TVL Mahogany and it's bad to the bone. Seriously - I'm only selling because it's too much amp for the situation I'm in. In the hot input, it can get some really high gain with humbuckers. I've owned a Bad Cat Cub II too - the Cub was louder, but the Vox's crunch and distortion sounded TONS better to me. If you're looking for the Vox sound, these Heritage editions are the way to go.

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

I have a AC15 Heritage Combo and the clean and semi clean tones are among the best I've heard. Lots of chime and jangle. I've only played the amp at home and have not been able to push it loud enough for any high gain tones. I'm not sure this amp even does high gain, but it definitely excels at clean and slightly dirty tones. The Celestion Blue seems perfectly matched for the EF-86 channel. I hardly ever play the El-84 channel. Maybe that side can get into higher gain territory if needed.

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

I tried one at Gallins Guitars in Annandale with a P90 equipped Lester. Very impressed ... I'd concur with XKnight ... superb cleans, semi cleans and mild OD. I didn't push it too hard 'cos of the shop environment. I plugged into a rockerverb 50 straight after and the Vox did it for me ... in the lower gain zone.

Pretty sure I saw one in The Guitar Factory in Gladesville recently ... they stock Badcat and usually have a couple on the floor. Cornford too. Might pay to swing by.

6. impactblue

impactblue Member

Johnkenn...

So you actually like the tone of the AC15 Heritage more than the Bad Cat Cub?? Not talking which is more Vox like...just which amp is more flexible and has better tone overall.