Vox AC15 or Fender Princeton Reverb RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Seth39195, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Seth39195

Seth39195 Member

I am looking to get a different amp. Right now I have an Egnater Tweaker 15. I like the tones I am getting out of the amp but I only use 1 or 2 sounds, so I don't get the full versatility out of the amp. I would also like to keep my pedalboard limited, so I don't like that I need a reverb pedal with this amp.

So I am looking for an amp that I can play at about the same volume. I definitely want it to have reverb, tremolo is a huge plus. The two I came up with are the Vox AC15 and the Fender Princeton Reverb RI. I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul but will probably get a strat this summer. I use a Wampler Euphoria and a Fulltone 69 for gain. I don't really have any particular preference for either sound. So which of these would you prefer? Or is there something else that fits this criteria that you like better? Thanks.

2. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

The two amps are apples and oranges. Both good amps, but they do completely different things. Honestly you need to play these amps side-by-side and make the decision for yourself. We may be able to help you out more if you could describe the sound you are going for.

3. Seth39195

Seth39195 Member

I'm probably going to be using it mostly for light to medium overdriven blues tones. Somewhere between BB King and Robben Ford most likely.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

5. Seth39195

Seth39195 Member

I think the Jet City amp might have too much gain for me to ever use. Not that that's a terrible thing. My main concern is actually that the new version doesn't have reverb and after a quick look around reverb and eBay I didn't see any of the old ones.

6. bloc

bloc Member

The Princeton has a 10" speaker which means your overall volume may suffer

7. Seth39195

Seth39195 Member

That is probably a good thing as I mostly play at lower volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...if i was playing it in a band i'd go with the vox...for home use i'd go with the princeton...the 68 not the 65

9. ajchance

ajchance Member

+1 for the Vox. I played through, but never owned a PRRI. I have had a couple of silver faced PRs over the years. Personally, I get a more complex OD on the vox. The PR sounded a bit brittle. The vox will get you in the territory of a tweed deluxe, but with good reverb and tremolo. Also sounds great clean. Speaker swap may help even more.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

They are all over Reverb and a few other places. Just have to look. A tube swap to 5751's lower the gain a bit. Also the knobs are there for a reason. Too much gain, turn it down. :D. I had the AC15cc1. Crappy IC driven and recovered reverb. The Jet City is tube driven and recovered. Excellent amps right in between the AC15 and a PR. And they're 350 bucks used.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. e???

e??? Member

No way man.

+1 for 68 custom Princeton. Especially if you're going for BB King, Ford tones. Vox's have EL84's and Vox circuits, they're chimy with less bass, but some say that makes them cut through a band better. I think it makes them harsh. The Vox will be louder though. Go try em if you can, they are apples and oranges, completely different. And Jet City's don't have much cleans to be found. Pretty much a gain amp.

12. Weeziewow

Weeziewow Member

I bought both amps last year -- got the PRRI first and think I should have gotten the AC15 first. Sits better in the band mix with the tone cut. That said, the PRRI has better cleans, and way better reverb and tremolo. PRRI is definitely easier to carry around, but the 12" speaker in the Vox gives more depth. PRRI is sweeter, Vox has better jangle and likes dirt pedals better.

Strat loves the PRRI, Tele loves the Vox. LP? I'm thinking PRRI, probably.

13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

+1 on the Vox.

In my experience (I have a newer one) it is very clean at low volumes but breaks rather quickly as you turn up the volume. Should work well for the tone you described.

14. rolsen

rolsen Member

Vox reverb sucks, in case that is important to you. I use reverb pedals in the loop of my AC30 and my Tweaker. Now with a Princeton you've got some holy grail reverb action right there!

15. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Have you ever tried a different tank in your AC30? I'm pretty sure they come stock with a fairly low end 2 spring tank.

16. Seth39195

Seth39195 Member

What is the difference between the 68 custom and the 65 reissue princeton?

17. tochiro

tochiro Member

Don't buy the new Custom 68 PRs - They have problems, a very noisy reverb and trem. The 65 PRRIs are better built although they also suffer from the baffle rattle issue. The AC15C1 is a good amp, I've had one for 2 years without problems. The reverb and trem on the AC is not as good as on the PRRI though. The cleans are better on the PRRI IMO but the edge of breakup and breakup sounds are better on the AC. I know it's not easy to decide...

18. tochiro

tochiro Member

The 68 Custom is made in Mexico. It is darker sounding than the 65 and has less clean headroom than the 65.

19. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I don't understand the 68 custom line. In most cases an actual drip edge BF circuit amp is less expensive.

20. talbotpat

talbotpat Member

I've got a Tweaker 40 head (retubed with EL34's), a VOX AC15C1, and a '65 DRRI. I get closest to a Marshall tone with the Tweaker, but a Marshall it aint. Good enough for the tones I'm going for though. The Tweaker doesn't do the VOX like the VOX or the Fender like a Fender....and wasn't good enough for *those* tones...which is why I bought two more amps. I can cover a ton of ground with the three together, and I think I have about $2K invested.