Vox AC15 or Peavey Classic 30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmiller475, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

I was wondering which would be the best choice. I use Strats and play a all different genres of music. I mostly play through a clean channel and use pedals.

2. stompboy

stompboy Member

AC15 is a great amp but for me it would have to be the Handwired one. Not versatile at all but if you only want a clean amp that won't matter.
    First choice though will always be the C30. Hugely underrated amp. Great platform for pedals and made is the US and still cheaper than a lot of others that aren't as good.

3. PGLive

PGLive True Tone will only be achieved in Heaven Silver Supporting Member

Classic 30 for sure,especially if you only need clean.

4. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

agreed with the above. the c30 is a great clean amp. fwiw, you can tailor the clean and od channels to your taste in either british more american directions with a speaker upgrade.

i've found the C30 to cut through a mix better than fender hrd models, while still retaining a fender-y tone. this can be enhanced with a speaker like the eminence cannabis rex. fwiw, i think the crex is probably one of the best possible speakers for the amp. if you are considering this, it needs to be broken in thoroughly, which can take a while do to the hemp cone, but it sounds incredible.

just my .02.

i do really like the new vox stuff, but i think the c30 is a superior amp, especially for what you a looking to do.

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Depends on which AC15? The Classic 30 can be a decent sounding amp with a speaker swap. If you go with a British voiced Alnico speaker (Blue, Red Fang, Blue Dog, Silver Bell, ect...) it can sound really good with a Vox vibe. I've known some guys that have played these since the 90s with no problems and some that have has them a year and had problems and dead amps... Seems to be a QC issue. I've always said it, if I had to get rid of all my boutique amps and get a cheaper amp, I get a C30.... I really like them!

But.... The Handwired AC15's (both series) are probably some of the best sounding amps I've ever heard and can hang with some of the higher priced boutique amps.

Just my $.02 worth

6. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

I've already got a C30 w/Hellatone 30 speaker. I like it but I can sell it and get a made in China Vox AC15. It seems like evryone so far thinks the Classic 30 is the better amp. I know it sounds great, solid and loud enough to gig with. Will the AC15 be loud enough?

7. stompboy

stompboy Member

If you already have a C30 why in Gods name would you consider swapping out a USA made amp for a MIC amp? I tried my friends AC15 and although it was awesome in a different way to the C30 (much more sparkly rather than beefy) there was no clean headroom. I'm like you in that I want a clean amp and get dirt from pedals. The AC broke up way too early for me. Fine if you're not running it loud and have a decent monitor rig.

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

This depends on too many things. Does your drummer hit loud? Is your bass player playing a 350watt rig? Another guitar player in your band? AND lastly... what is YOUR definition of clean???

I just sold one of the newer C1's... it was plenty loud enough, but I also got a brand new set of JJ EL84 tubes that were rated for "maximum" headroom. I got a nice edge of breakup tone and rolled my guitar's volume back to 7/8 and it was clean. The amp was just fine. I only sold it because it's so damned heavy for a little sucker.

9. DreamSeller

DreamSeller Member

I'd get a new AC15C2

10. jmiller475

jmiller475 Member

Drummer plays loud, Bass maybe 100-200watts, other guitar player 15 watt tube. As far as clean I like a nice sparkling kind of clean I guess.

11. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

You should get the Classic 30 unless you're planning to get the Handwired AC15. The normal AC15s don't sound pleasant..

12. Mysterionn

Mysterionn Silver Supporting Member

Take it from me (This is as long as you want a British voice) save the money and buy an AC-15HW. It kills! Trust me I own one and will NEVER get rid of this amp for any other amp.

P. S. It takes pedals well so don't be fooled by people telling you otherwise. Most everyone who has an opinion any different is usually talking about the non HW version.

13. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

I looked at which of these 2 to buy and chose Peavey Delta Blues (30w/15"x1)...15" over Classic's 12", plus tremelo, basically for same price...

14. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

The Classic 30 is a great amp, loves pedals.
    I own an AC30, have played an AC15, and the other guitarist in my band uses a C30.
    I am a Vox lover, but I would take the C30 over the AC15C1 that I played. Both are great amps but the 30 will perform like a champ on the bandstand.

15. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

turning the mid knob OFF on a C30 lights up what I've been told is a built-in "blackface" circuit. I haven't played too many blackface Fenders to have a clue, but I've had enough people tell me that secret.

For context I owned and really dug a C30 head. Never owned a Vox anything. But I typed stuff anyway.