Vox AC15 vs. Laney LC15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onyxrhino, Mar 21, 2008.

1. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

Hi. I am looking to buy a cheap amp to practice with right now and it's between the Vox AC15 with wharfdale speakers and the Laney LC15. I'm looking for some of that chimey, jangly, ringing top end that is usually associated with a Vox. But I've read really bad reviews about the top end actually being pretty harsh and shrill on the new Voxes with Wharfdales, and I seem to read almost unanimously positive things about the Laneys. Can anyone recommend one or the other? Has anyone played both?

I'd really appreciate any help this board can give me in trying to choose.

2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Maybe if you added one of the new Celestion G10 Golds or Webber Blue Pups to the Laney then it might get you more into chimey Vox territory.

3. camelface

camelface Member

The Laney VC series is closer to Voxes than the LC series. The LC's are supposed to be more like Marshalls.

4. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

You will get a much better Marshall crunch from the LC.

5. Flux

Flux Member

+1 not a bad amp, and pretty cool for the size, but made for higher gain and not the best speaker. Had one but I'm much happier with an AC15 variant.

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The Vox AC15CC's need some tweaks to get what you want so if you want to go stock, the laney VC series is the better way to go....

7. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Yeah, should have said that right off the bat......gotta lose the HH speaker.

8. markdb

markdb Member

Current Laney VCs have Jensen speakers. At least the VC15 I tried out the other week did and a swing tag to say so too. I found it a really nice little amp.

9. anibas

anibas Member

If you're primarily interested in Vox like cleans with a switchable lead channel,the Laney VC15 would be the amp to look at,IMO.The clean channel with the bright switch in should get you pretty close,and I think they sell for around the same price new($599) as the Vox.I'd try both out,and then make your choice.Good luck either way you go.

10. anibas

anibas Member

I'd have to agree with the other posts here about the LC15-I've owned one for 10 years now,and it's primarily designed as a high gain practice amp.They sound really good for this purpose,provided you ditch the stock speaker and go with something like a Celestion Vintage 10 or an Eminence Ramrod.I tried out a VC15 recently for the 1st time,and it's laid out almost identical to the VC30,except for an extra tone control,that appears to work like the cut control on old Vox amps.It's capable of proper clean tones,and sounds just like the VC30 except with less headroom due to 2 less output tubes.I haven't played through the AC15CC yet,only the 30 watt head version,which was a good sounding amp.As I said before,try both out and pick the one that's right for you.

11. anibas

anibas Member

I'm definitely into them-I've got an LC30,VC30,LC15, and an LH50R head.I bought mine around the time that Hoshino got out of their distribution deal with Laney,and a lot of dealers were blowing them out at or near cost.I've also got a couple of AOR3012 combos that I picked up cheap,and these are pretty hip little amps if you leave the pull boosts off and just turn them up.MasterTrax,the VC50 you mentioned was a terror,esp. if you could turn the master up to 3 or 4!Onyxrhino,try one of those VC15's out,and consider a speaker swap if the Jensen 10" is the only negative issue.