Vox AC15 What do you think about it?

Staceydude

What are your thoughts on the Vox AC15?

I saw a used one today in great shape and they wanted $350.00 for it.

I could probably talk them down a little if I really wanted it. Sounds good at the level I could play it at.

Just wondering what yall think of it for all around playing?

Regards

theraygun

It's REALLY bright without the cut control. I had one and did the bright cap mod, but it was just so bright I had to sell it. If you mod for the cut control, you would have a great sounding amp. The AC30 is a much better amp, but also much louder.

soldano16

I bought one just to flip. It had the Celestion blue.

At first the deal was so good, I figured I'd keep the amp. But after playing it a bit, I really didn't like the basic tone. It was what you would want 15% of the time but not the rest.

radcliff

I have a weber blue dog in mine and I like it enough....it's just a home use amp

I like the reverb, but I def overpaid for mine if they can be had for 350....jeez

tremster

They are good basic tube amps with reverb and tremolo. Sounds more open and less boxy than a Blues Junior.

The reverb can get too washy. The tremolo is seriously good. In fact, I bought the amp after hearing the tremolo.

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine. I did the brigth cap mod and it doesn't sound too bright with my Sg. Actually it doesn't sound to bright with my Suhr either. For $350 I would definetly get it. I would like to get the blue speaker for mine eventually.

BurstWurst

I'm enjoying mine with a celestian blue (coming from tweed fenders). Seems to provide a little more "girth" for my one guitar band situation. Maybe it's the speaker that I'm liking.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I wonder if the handwired version is a different animal tone wise from the production PCB version?

I saw a nice mahogany handwired, but it was like $1,200 which was more than I wanted to spend.

What are your thoughts on the Vox AC15?

I saw a used one today in great shape and they wanted $350.00 for it.

I could probably talk them down a little if I really wanted it. Sounds good at the level I could play it at.

Just wondering what yall think of it for all around playing?

Regards
Which version ac-15 is it?? Chinese or UK?
If it's a Made in UK 90's korg TB version $350 is a bargain.
They are great amps.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
I've had one for 10 years as my backup gig amp, and now it's my main amp since I sold the Hiwatt half stack.
It's a mid 90's UK made (Korg), and sounds fantastic but that's because I had it modded by Toneman to sound like the vintage AC15
(http://www.tone-man.com/amp-serv.htm) and I put a Weber Blue Dog in it.

Staceydude

Good question, I did not get a chance to look at it again today. From the looks of it could be a 90s version. Where will it say on the Vox the date of MFG or will the UK one say Made in UK or otherwise Made in China?

Regards

Scottone

I had one of the UK ones and it was a nice amp (especially after upgrading the output transformer to a Mercury Mag)

Should have kept it....

frank62

The Vox Ac 15 is one of the finest small amps you can buy. As stated better the the Blues Junoir and that is saying something because the BJ is one killer little amp.

Staceydude

Well, I figured out the UK ones clearly say Made in UK on the back. I am pretty sure it was the version with the normal speaker in it also.

It looked dusty enough to be old enough to be made in the 90s. Now I cant wait to go and check it out again to see.

Right now I just have a stock Valve Jr combo that I play into a 4X12 cab.

Do these have external speaker outputs? ahh never mind google is an awesome thing 8 or 16 ohm outputs...

Trending Topics