Vox ac15 x pedals

bh.

recently got an AC15. Yay!! I did a shootout between some of my favorite Low-med gain ODs. I was most surprised by the ethos, especially the clean side, because with my older amp (a fender blues jr.), it didn't really change the character of the amp, but with the Vox, it really adds a new flavor to the amp. Here's a short video. Hope you enjoy!

the pedals:
ethos overdrive (tle mode)
lovepedal cot50 - blue
paul c. timmy v1
crowther hotcake (modified)

slap_back05

Cool vid. It really highlights how the Hot Cake shines with a VOX. I'm not really a fan of how any of the others sounded.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
like your songs, B.:aok

and the old-school COT too! The Timmy and COT sound really close in that video. I tried to get a Timmy to sound like my COT's, and couldn't quite do it. Do they feel different while you're playing them? Use them for different things?

The ethos sounds great....now i want to try one....

cheers

bh.

Thanks @aaronblues!! the cot50 and timmy sounded very close even when i was playing them. They can sound quite different from each other through other amps (fenders, marshalls) that's why i keep both of them on the board. Btw, the timmy has a lm1458 chip and I was running it at 18v, set to 0 compression in the internal switches. The settings are also there at the end of the video. I use both as low gain ODs and stack them too.

Coldacre

I noticed that the Hotcake has that weird fizzy decay. I was getting that with my Tele too, but when I switched to the Les Paul, the fizz went away.

bh.

@coldacre Noticed the same thing too when switching to a guitar with humbuckers. :)
@smellycaster Yes, I really like how the ethos sounds with the vox, the cot50 is my favorite with some fender amps (twin reverb/blues jr.)

la noise

Congrats on the new amp. Love the red tolex. :aok

I had to sell an AC15 because it didn't get along well with
some of my pedals---which were mostly Fuzz.

I really liked how the Ethos sounded with your Vox.
My fave was definitely the Ethos. It sounded a lot bigger with it
than with the COT or Timmy.

Hotcake was cool, too. :)

bh.

@la noise i tried some fuzz too yesterday and got good results with the blunderbuss and the sunface (ti/uk). what fuzz pedals didn't bond well with your ac15?

la noise

That's great. Could just be personal preference, bh. :)

Most of my Fuzz collection (way too many to list here!:) ) seemed to be lacking a
little bit through the AC15 as compared to my other amps. I loved that amp for its
chimey nature, but when mixed with Fuzz it seemed to add a high-frequency character
to the tone that made them all seem thin and empty to me.

bh.

That's great. Could just be personal preference, bh. :)

I loved that amp for its
chimey nature, but when mixed with Fuzz it seemed to add a high-frequency character
to the tone that made them all seem thin and empty to me.
Got it!! I did notice that the fuzz pedals were a lot brighter with the vox that with the fender.

la noise

Yup. Bright can be good. Or not so good. :)

Same with dark. It all depends, doesn't it? Some of my Fuzz is really bright (like a
Sunface BC108), which is what I need because I love playing dark guitars (mostly
LP's). But a bright pedal into a really bright amp--even with a darker guitar--wasn't
working for me.

My fave match now is dark guitar, bright pedals, dark amps. LOUD! :)

bh.

Yup. Bright can be good. Or not so good. :)
My fave match now is dark guitar, bright pedals, dark amps. LOUD! :)
Sounds cool! I've been digging Gary Clark Jr lately, and i imagine his fuzz sounds with that equation.

@technicolorskyline thanks for the tip! Will have to check out that rat someday.

la noise

Interesting that you mention him, bh. One of my faves. Love how diverse his
style and tastes are. Mixes so many influences so seamlessly. Besides, pop music
needs more fuzz!! :aok

Here is a clip of me messing around with the main riff in his song "Numb." It's
a Basic Audio Gnarly. A bright pedal played with a dark guitar and dark amp. :)

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lonesome-rust/numb[/SOUNDCLOUD]