Vox AC15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cbickford84, Mar 4, 2015.

1. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

I'm thinking about picking one up, could someone recommend an high effiecent speaker for more headroom?

Any other things I should do? I have heard people remove the bright cap.

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

I would plqy it for a week or two before you do anything. Its pretty spot on as-is

3. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

I love the Creamback in mine. :beer

4. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

Yeah, I had a creamback in another amp. Very nice; not effecient enough though.

5. van_delay

van_delay Member

Love the Celestion Blue in my Vox. Very efficient, loud, and chime-y.

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I put Emi Wizards in mine. Very happy with that speaker. I have one in my Fender BJr and it adds a lot of loud clean.

7. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I would recommend a Celestion Blue! Fantastic! Don't have an AC-15, but heard someone's 15 with a Celestion Blue - great headroom and water-like cleans!

8. talbotpat

talbotpat Member

This.

9. joevacc

joevacc Supporting Member

If I may; just get the AC15C1X with the Alnico blue in it. Don't do anything to it for a few weeks except play the **** out of it!

After the speaker and tubes are broken in, you can then make mod decisions. I don't think the cap mod is something anyone is doing to the latest version of these amps. They have tone controls on them! :sarcasm ;~)

If in the end you would still like to replace the speaker, the blue will be easy to sell.

The tubes in the new AC15's are ok. You can gig with this amp right out of the box! I have changed the tubes in mine and I think that was well worth the money. I did not go the NOS route however because I want to be able to replace tubes without worry of finding that "great" old glass. I can go to any supplier online and have a new set here in two days.

The only other thing I did was change the speaker wire to a good quality piece of 16/2 gauge with well terminated ends. That and I replaced the reverb RCA's because the one in my amp died after I had it for a month or two.

Good luck in your quest! I think the world of these amps.
    jv

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Believe it or not an Eminence Cannibas Rex goes fantastic with. If and most Box flavored amps. I tried it with my AC-15C1 and HW when I had it. I loved it. Tightened up the bass, kept the highs but eliminated the ovey bright shrill it could have with some single coils. I still use it with my TA-15 at times.

It's also very efficient, so you can acquire some more clean headroom and helps take OD pedals better as, again it helps tame the brittle highs.