Vox ac15c1 tube replacements

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LoganKade, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

I still have the stock tubes in my ac15 and I think replacing them would improve the overall sound of the amp. If I wanted something a little creamier but still punchy, what would you suggest? I'm open to any suggestions though even if they don't meet that criteria if you've had good results. Thanks!

2. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I'm interested as well, except I have an AC30.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i would suggest a good starting point would be JJ's......... and i would add a NOS rectifier tube with that would make a heck of a difference (indirectly of course for those who are picky), if, your amp had one, but i dont believe the custom line has one?

4. ac15er

ac15er Member

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and foreign cars
    I have JJ's across the board except for V1, I tried a NOS JAN Philips 5751 and it's there to stay, a little more clarity and headroom I think.

Nice valves and none of them to expensive either.

5. GregWV

GregWV Member

Cant go wrong with JJ's. I have an AC15c1 and the JJ's made my amps sound better - very reliable tubes.

6. sw532121

sw532121 Supporting Member

While I definitely value NOS tubes, I believe that the AC15C1 can benefit greatly from modern production valves as well (and for a lot less $$$). I settled on a JJ ECC83 in V1, a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V2, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI. I generally use JJ EL84s in the power section, and I wish the newer models used an EZ81 rectifier, but alas, they don't...

These tubes work really well for my needs, and they really transformed the amp into a different animal.

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I tried a NOS RCA/Mullard and NOS Telefunken preamp/12AX7s, as well as Ei Gold Elites (preamp and power tubes).

I keep coming back to JJ ECC803S (gold pin in V1 slot) JJ ECC803S (V2, V3), JJ El84s and JJ EZ81 rectifier (I also tried a Mullard EZ81).

8. ken374

ken374 Member

how did the JJ rectro compare to the Mullard? did the mullard test high b4 you bought it?

9. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I liked the JJ better; the Mullard didn't seem as lively though, I believe, it tested as new.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

Mullards warmer? how was the tads power tubes over the JJ?

11. ken374

ken374 Member

My stock rectro is a EH its bright for me, my RCA is coming any day. My JJ powers are 9 months old but i dont crank it a lot, hoping the Tads will warm the blue speaker up more. I use the gain side of the amp mostly. : Doug just wrote me back and said the Tads are def. warmer and janglier

12. LoganKade

LoganKade Member

Okay so the general Idea is that JJ's would be my best bet. But two more questions

1. Where should I pick them up?

2. How do I pick between the different types?

I feel kind of overwhelmed by the whole tube concept, there just seems to be so much out there. Of course pedals and effects were overwhelming at one point too, so I know I can learn somehow, but any direction anyone could lead me in to learn more I'd really appreciate it

13. ken374

ken374 Member

Dougs tubes or tube depot are good, ave distortion is fine

14. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

To my ears the Mullard rectifier was dull sounding. The TADs are soft/warm (Mullard-like), but don't have the brilliance/jangle that the JJs do.

15. ken374

ken374 Member

forgot what speaker your using Jay?

16. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

17. ken374

ken374 Member

RFT rect. def had a warmer mids

18. ken374

ken374 Member

Got the RCA in seems pretty good at low volume, smoother top end over the stock EH tube

19. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I did the same... very nice sound resulted on the normal channel. I then put a Sovtek 12AX7 in V2 and that just was the icing on the cake. I called up Eurotubes and got a set of "max headroom" radted JJ EL84s and the amp was loud for a 15 watt.

ALSO... regarding the posts on page one, there is no rectifier tube on the C1, there's V1 & V2 for normal and top boost (1st and 2nd stage gain) then V3 is the phase inveter??? 99.9% sure this amp is SS rectified.

20. Kevin_28

Kevin_28 Member

Correct