Vox AC15C1 vs TB18C1 vs Peavey C30 vs Ampeg GVT15-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ric4682, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ric4682

ric4682 Member

Sooooo, I used to have an AC15 that I really loved but was always just a tad on the harsh side. Long story short, I want to buy a good grab and go combo for smaller gigs that has great tone and I can pick up for less than $550.
    Does the AC15 or the TB18 have more clean headroom? (I'm a pedal guy)
    Has anyone compared the headroom of the Ampeg to the AC15? I've read good things about the ampeg but don't know enough about them.
    I love big, fat, singing overdrive tone but I usually use pedals to get there. I love Neil Young and Black Crowes but also Page, Beck, and Gibbons. (...and Eric Johnson, but no mere combo amp will make me sound like that dude) For the record, I like the clean tone of the DRRI but it didn't seem to take drive pedals well and got farty at gig volume. I preferred the tone of my AC15 that I used to have, but it was was always a little bright and not quite loud enough.
    I'm super curious about the Ampeg and if it can keep up with a drummer like people say an AC15 with a Blue can do.
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PhiloB

PhiloB Member

I have the GVT 52-112 and it takes pedals EXTREMELY well. The clean channel is almost too clean...almost. Don't forsee ever getting rid of it. Don't know how it compares to the 15-112.
    Btw I build pedals and am really particular about a good neutral 'palate' for an amp.

3. ric4682

ric4682 Member

How heavy is the 52-112? Also, did you change the speaker? And how is the drive side?

4. ric4682

ric4682 Member

Anyone else have a word to share on these fine amps?

5. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I have the TB18. It can do cleans, not sure if it would be loud enough. It goes from clean to some heavy gain on the preamp side. Great single channel amp. Peavey Classic 30 clean channel is stupid loud.

I sold the PV since it was too loud for home use. It's great for pedals in the clean channel and it has real spring reverb. I like the VOX since it's more home friendly

6. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I have played all 3 amps and owned both of the Vox. I would say the Ampeg has the most headroom but when it breaks up it is very gravelly. I sold the Ac15 because I thought the Ac30 did the same chimey thing but better. I still have the TB18C1 I picked up on a whim. I like it better for a grab and go then the Ac15 because it is lighter but the tone is more versitale.

Another amp in that class that has great headroom is the VHT 12/20. That is my go to for the sounds you describe.

P.S. The reverb on the TB18C1 is very digital sounding. Just keep that in mind.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Stock speaker?

I have put several speakers in my GVT15 and this has not been my experience. (v30, g12h30, GB, Blue, Gold)

YMMV

8. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I was running my friend's head through an Orange 2x12" (missed the part about a combo) I think those are V30s. Perhaps not crystal cleans but compared to how fast the TB18C1 breaks up I would say it had more headroom. Perhaps the Ac15 could give it a run for the money in that department but when you turn the Ampeg and the Vox up you get very different results.

However of the 3 amps mentioned, the GVT15 was my least favorite, that is why I mentioned the VHT.

9. ric4682

ric4682 Member

The VHT seemed to be lacking in the EQ department from what I can tell. And they're a little bit more expensive than the other three. Would it get louder than the AC15?

10. krueger

krueger Member

I sold my GVT15-112 to get an AC15C1. The GVT was only played at home but it clearly can stay cleaner than the Vox. I wanted the voxy edge of break up sound, that's the reason I got rid of it. The stock reverb on the GVT has the same long decay as the Vox has. I would have changed it like I did on the Vox just recently. Major improvement for little money. The fx loop can have an annoying hum on the GVT, but it can be fixed under warranty, which I had done on mine. The portability is better on the GVT and it takes pedals well. The eq is active and does a lot to the sound, the mid acts like some kind of extra gain as well when going past 12 on the dial. The grit you get from the amp is not as pleasing to me as what the Vox provides.

11. dcrab

dcrab Member

One vote here for the Peavy. I got one on a whim and am super impressed by it. The clean channel is nice and full and takes pedals like a champ. I owned the AC15 with a greenback and feel the C30 is the winner hands down especially if you use pedal dirt.

12. ric4682

ric4682 Member

Thanks, krueger. That's a big help! I played a C30 the other day and while it did sound good it seemed to be missing a "character" or "voice." It didn't seem unique or exciting at all. Definitely a solid amp and I can see why it's a workhorse, but it didn't seem to have enough personality. Hopefully that makes sense.

13. dcrab

dcrab Member

I totally agree with you there. I love it for my broad pallet amp but it's not unique in anything.

14. ric4682

ric4682 Member

Would dropping a different preamp tube or two in either of the Voxes make it have more headroom or would that difference be negligible?

15. ric4682

ric4682 Member

Any other recommendations I should consider?

16. ric4682

ric4682 Member

I decided to go with the Ampeg. I'll post here once I've had a chance to crank it up and get it nice and hot.
    Thanks for all the responses!

17. andrew moxom

andrew moxom Member

Minnesota - lived here since 1993. Prior to that,
    i installed a WGS Reaper into my TB18-1c and it is like a whole different amp with some balls now. It blows the stock Celestion G12-65 away. That said the TB18 and ampeg are 6v6 based and will break up and behave differently to the Peavey C30 or the AC15, so not really an apples to apples comparison. I agree the Peavey's are hellish loud, but the break up and overdrive are not everyones cup-o-tea.