VOX AC15CC 112 Combo - Thoughts on this amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mr.mattphisto, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I am looking for an amp with a little more grit with a more usuable volume level. I am interested in this little combo by Vox. How does it sound? How responsive is the amp to pedals, guitar volume, etc. How are the cleans? Anyone upgrade the tubes yet?

I currently have a Hot Rod Deville 2X12 that is 60 watts, and loud enough to fill an arena about 3-4 on the volume. Futhermore, it is clean all the way through, unless I use the "DIRTY" channel, which sounds like a solid state amp to my ears.

Now I have read the posts on here already, I am looking for something a little more in depth. After reading this, please feel free to suggest to not buy the Vox and save up for XXXX amp (Top Hat, Dr Z, Naylor, /13 would be a long term investment, this Vox seems like the quick way to change)

Here is what I am currently using G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollloow > Burriss Boostiest > DD5 > Voodoo Labs Trem > DD-20 > Hot Rod Deville. Simple setup. Not too much in the way.

I want to get a more U2-ish/Wilco-ish tone. And the fender is great, but the tone still bores me. The Boostiest did improve the overall tone, but I am still not happy with the straight,clean tone. Picky, picky.

Lastly, I am going to add a MI Audio Crunch Box, Skreddy Mayo, MoFaux, and a Reverb pedal into the mix (RV3 or RV5 or a Holy Grail), so I am trying to think about my amp upgrade with this in mind.

Thanks for reading!

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I fixed the title for ya :)

--chiba

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have played the CC's and I did not care for them at all. The fundamental tone is thin and lacks character imo. Not a real sounding Vox to my questionable ears....

I would most def. go for a 90's English AC-15. That era of re-issues has no equal.

I will end up getting an AC-30 of that era at some point. Unless I end up having enough cash for a real one that is!

M.E.

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I completely disagree, the 15CC and the 30CC slay the tbx offerings in my opinion. The 30CC is especially amazing. The 15CC sounds more like a 30 tbx imho. The only equal of the 30CC's is the JMI era ones in my ears. The tbx are a nice appoximation.

So now you have 2 completely conflicting viewpoints.

Next someone will come on to say you should forget either and get a Hayseed 30 and then you will have all the major opinions covered:p

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i agree with you, i played the ac15cc, and was shocked at the depth, full,
    tone, nice and fat. the headroom was a pleasent surprise as well, this
    one had at the stock wharf for the speaker, i say great bang for the buck,
    pretty heavy too! some rather cheap appointments, but hey......$600.00!

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Last summer I did a show sitting in with a friend's "Americana" band, the ensemble consisting of an amplified acoustic guitar, bass, fiddle, and drums, and of course me on electric, and he had one of the 90s AC15s. I played his Tele.

I thought the amp was a bit underpowered even for this low-volume gig, and certainly didn't sound like a good AC30 to my ears. I dunno, I thought it lacked vibe. I know that's nebulous, but that's how I felt playing one at a gig.

I don't think you're going to get to U2-land with one, personally. I'd go in a different direction if that's really the sound you're looking for. Unfortunately, that rich AC30 sound is loud, but if you really want that sound, a real AC30 with Celestion blues is the ticket, IMHO.

If you want a cool brit sound at lower power, the Dr.Z MAZ 18 is nice with the right speakers...and a relative bargain to boot! Or the Bogner Metropolis.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

You know what you need?

A Tophat Club Royale 1X12 combo. It kills the AC30/15 IMHO. It can get loud for gigs and quiet at home. One of the best Master Volumes on the market. You will not believe it. It can do Vox and Marshall sounds but the emphasis is on Vox (the circut is inspired by an AC30). I tried the new AC30's and they didn't do it for me at all.

It will be more expensive but you will never regret it. Here's a couple links:

http://tophatamps.com/

http://www.tophatamps.com/forum/

http://www.tophatamps.com/th_clips.htm

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/index.html

If you'd like more clips I can provide some links. We Tophat players are a very passionate bunch. Check 'em out!

8. 57special

57special Member

My viewpoint is different again;

First of all i love the AC30 CC. For the $$ it's a great amp. Don't like the reverb, fine, don't use it.
    The AC 30 RI's of the 90's are nice also, just not as many features as the AC30CC. If you can play loud , then get this one.
    AC15 RI's from the 90's..... I always thought they sounded small , dry, and pinched, both the 1x12 and the 2x 10 version.
    AC15CC. Liked, then hated it, now i think it's just OK. The bass is ugly sounding to my ears. Still like it better than the AC15RI, and it's cheaper.
    Try and find a tube Cambridge Reverb from the 60's (65-66). They'll cost you about the same or less than the AC15 RI, and they sound WAY better.

Just so you don't think i have something against AC15's, I love the JMI AC15's. The modern AC30's do a much better job of recapturing the old 6 hole JMI sound than the AC15's do of the old JMI AC15 sound. The Thomas organ Cambridge Reverb and Berkeley (head version) sound pretty damn good, but not the same.... sort of a cross between a BFPR and an AC10

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

The AC-15's that I liked had the 1-12 Blue in it. I played the 2-10 version and was not impressed. Pinched is a good word. Otherwise, I would not spend the money on a CC. The best advice is to get a 1-12 Club Royale combo. I had a 2-12 version since the end of '98 and man, I miss it! M.E.

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

dr. maz jr. 112 combo is the ticket:dude

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm from Cleveland so of course I wanted a Z. But, the Maz Jr. wouldn't break up with my tele. I dimed it too. I read many, many reviews and saw that I was not alone in that assesment. I went with the Tophat. The breakup is to die for...

Here's a clip of the CR 1X12. It's an old one with a blue. Scroll down to the bottom. These clips sold me!

http://www.davideldonhughes.com/cardigans.htm

12. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Wow! Thanks you guys! I was looking into the club royal and one time (had to back out do to a unexpected expense), and then the Maz jr NR 1x 12....both great amps as well. tough choices. Lots to read and think about.

Thanks everyone! Keep the responses coming...

I am going to try out the Vox AC15CC tomorrow....

I think there might be a place in town to try a Club Royal....

13. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

If you are looking for a 15 watt dual el84 amp then you have to test drive a Matchless lightning, spitfire, nighthawk and also a badcat cub to really taste a full spectrum! Not to mention about a dozen other great boutiques. Lots of great 15 watters out there if you are not limiting yourself to Vox products. If you are - then go CC - cheap and good.

14. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

+1 on the TopHat Club Royale...... will out perform the Vox in every way!

Joe

15. v-verb

v-verb Member

I've listened to the AC30CC - words one actually - and I think it's a great sounding amp!!! Strangely enough only the CC and the Fuchs amps - both being PCB - sound as good as PTP amps to my ears.

16. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I agree the Thomas Vox 15 watt tube amps were great amps, I still have my Pacemaker and sold my Cambridge Reverbs. In regards to the Vox Korg AC15 TB (sold) and the AC15CC, I prefer the AC15CC. The AC15CC to me is a 15 watt version of the AC30 TBX rather than a knock off of the AC15 TB. My CC sounds very good with humbuckers.

AC15CC with black fret cloth:

[​IMG]

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

absolutley! Les Paul + 15CC = awesome tone

18. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I like the black grill cloth! Very nice!

19. 57special

57special Member

I'd rather flip amps than burgers:p

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not even close! Its a nice amp, but sounds nothing like a Vox. It does not have the depth or jangle IMO. Listen to those clips. thats a good taste of what the CR sounds like. Not very Voxy to me.