Vox AC15CC Chime

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thudle, Apr 20, 2008.

1. thudle

thudle Member

I just bought a AC15CC1 (with the Warfdale speaker), hoping to have that Vox chime like my AC30CC2X, but I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. The AC30 just blows the AC15 out the water in regards to the chime/jangle.

My question is...will the Celestion Blue make a big difference for that chimey/jangly tone? Or is the AC15CC1 just too different..? I was hoping for the same sound as the AC30 with the fraction of the space and weight...

2. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I haven't heard the 30 compared to the 15, but I've heard the wharfdale compared to the Celestion - MILES apart. The Celestion sounds right, the wharfdale sounds eh ok. I think WGS has a celestion blue copy, you should try one out.

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

If you're using the top boost channel on your 30, the only difference is the blue speaker.

IMO the wharf sounds OK, but the blue is where the chime is at.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The main difference is the alnico blue speaker, but the AC15CC doesn't have a choke and there are some other circuit differences.....

5. thudle

thudle Member

thanks guys! seems like the blue is where the chime is all at.

6. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I love the look of those little amps. I'll bet a Scumnico would sound pretty awesome in one! :BOUNCE

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

In my personal experience, 30's and 15's are WAY different beasts. Blues are not the factor in the classic "chime". Had both with Blues and I have kept a 30 strictly for that factor.

A 15 is not simply a lower volume 30.

Emee

8. thudle

thudle Member

Thanks Michael E. ....i think you're right about the difference between the 15 and the 30. Did the celestion blue help at all in the 15?

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

that is exactly right, one difference between my ac30 and my mates ac15 is the ac30 is more 3d and wide open sound, it also has huge sound in my opinion.

they are not the same at all.

10. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I've got a new AC15 with a wharfdale and it sounds great as long as you are not diming the gain and dropping the master volume. I also did the bright cap mod.

11. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Are you referring to the Custom Classic series? Because in those amps, the 15 is just the Top Boost Channel in a 15 watt 112 config. Some minor circuit changes, but the top boost sound is there in spades. I prefer the 30 because it has the normal channel as well as the 212, but the 15 is a killer amp with chime just like the 30.

If you are playing through Wharfs that aren't properly broken in and comparing them to blues, that is your problem. First, the Wharf isn't supposed to be a blue (it's closer to a greenback in tonality). The blue is a huge part of the chime factor in the Vox sound, but I can still get it out of a 15 with a Wharf. Even though I can get it really close, it isn't all the way there to running through blues because the wharfs don't do the spongy top end compression of the alnico. If you are used to hearing that, you will have a hard time adjusting to the wharfs (your audience will probably never know the difference though).

The wharf top end is a more hard (maybe even a little cold sounding), aggressive, slightly harsh sound. That sounds like I'm describing it negatively, but I'm really not, that sound works for what it is and definately has it's uses. But you need to realize that it is very different from the top end of the blues. They will not filter the vox sound the same way, and you won't get the same kind of chime from the wharfs that you will from the blues. You will get chime, but it will sound different.

And to the poster above, blues are a HUGE part of the signature Vox chime. The sound that most of us hear in our heads when we hear the words "Vox chime" is usually the sound of the top boost channel through two blues. I don't know what your personal experience is with Vox amps, but my guess is that it is quite limited.

D