Vox AC15CC or Fender Blues Junior.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleman, May 26, 2008.

1. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I've been looking for a EL84 based grab and go amp and have narrowed it down to the AC15 or Blues jr. I like the tone of both of them.

I'd be intrested in some feedback from those who own or have played through these amps for awhile.

What would you chose and why?

2. parker

parker Member

Honestly, I love the Ac-15 I've owned them both,the Blues jr sounds real "papery" when turned up, the Vox sounds great from the get go. I am also making these comments based on unmodded amps (speakers, trannies etc) I still use the (stock) Vox for most of my gigging needs. also, the overdrive on the vox is very cool as are the cleans.

3. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

i use a blues junior and i love it. i keep it clean then push the amp with my pedals. im actually trying to get rid of 1 if you want. if your interested PM me. thanks

4. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

I actually have and love both amps. Things to consider - the Blues Junior is about 20 lbs lighter, incase your thinking about "grab n go" capabilities. Also, it kind of boils down to whether you are looking for a more "Voxy" or "Fendery" kind of sound. Both take pedals really well.

5. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I recently bought the Vox AC15cc and a couple of weeks ago sold my Fender Blues Jr.
    My take is this...

If you want to use pedals for the distortion sounds, both amps work great.
    If you are going for a beautiful clean sound, both are great depending on the type of clean you want.
    If you want to use the amps distortion, I love the Vox.

Also, I dig the tremolo and reverb on the Vox.

6. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

I've had a Vox AC 15cc and a Pro Jr. and the Vox was much better. Played a gig a while back with another guitar player who had a Blues Jr. It didn't stand up against the Vox at all.

7. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

dude, i use 2 pro jrs in stereo and my marshall sits in the corner gathering dust. nobody can believe so much tone comes from 2 little amps. best of all, my rig fits in the trunk of a saturn.

8. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Not super familiar with the AC15, but I own a Blues Jr. Great sounding amp but it does take a speaker swap to get the most from this amp. Depending on the speaker you can change almost all aspects of this amp. After that a monster little amp.
    Mike

9. mds

mds Member

Which speaker did you put in your Jr?

10. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i've only tried the blues jr. in stores, but what i heard never impressed me very much. there just doesn't seem to be the complexity of tone that you get from the vox. one nice thing about the vox is that you can get one stock with the wharfdale speaker and then upgrade it as you get the funds... i put a weber blue dog in mine and then a mercury output tranny and i must say it's quite impressive now, easily in the range of boutique amps (my amp tech is a custom builder and he told me the amp blows away most things he's heard). i'm sure though that the fender has a better reverb right out of the box, the one in the vox is too splashy. but for $25 (or so) you can pop in a new accutronics reverb tank (identical to the one in the blues jr.) that will get you close...

11. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

I have a Eminence Govenor in mine and it kicks. Very midrangy that cuts great. I am planning on trying some other speakers out as well though. I have heard great things about the Eminence Swamp Thing, I plan on trying a Cannibus Rex, and I am told that an EVM 12L will also fit right in. One of the reasons I am trying these speakers is they all rate very efficient and I gig with mine so every little bit of volume helps get above the band. I also tried an Eminence Alnico speaker which sounded great (more vintage) but didn't quite have the volume. Also alot of the Alnico speakers (Blue, Gold, Red Fang) wont fit in the stock box so that sucks but most ceramics will so happy hunting.
    Mike