Vox AC15CC to an AC30CC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thudle, Apr 22, 2008.

1. thudle

thudle Member

Are their any mods I can do to get the AC15CC1 to sound like the AC30CC2X? What I'm looking specifically for is the glassy/chimey clean sound. The AC30 puts the AC15 to shame in this dept.

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Crank the master and use the volume to taste for starters. Also, if your 30 has blues in it, you will need to put a blue in your 15 to get the same sound. The circuit is nearly identical, so outside of speakers and knob turning you shouldn't really have to do anything to it.

If there is a huge difference, you may have something wrong with your 15. There will be some difference due to the 212 vs 112 setup, whether or not that is a deal breaker is up to your ears. It isn't to me, but some think that the AC30 sound only comes with a 212.

I assume you are using the TB channel on the 30 for comparison, because that is what is in the 15.

D

3. thudle

thudle Member

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am using the TB in the AC30. Perhaps I do need to change the speaker in the 15 to a blue, but I'm thinking that that won't fully give me the ticket of the chime/glassy/3d cleans I hear in the 30. I can tell how they are voiced very similarly, but I was just so sad when I AB/d the two amps together to find that the 15 could not compete (even with the master full on and TB volume lower..it just sounded more clean/trebly, but not glassy/chimey...even with the volume on the 30 set on low, right off the bat I can hear/feel that chime).

4. schmerf

schmerf Member

In my opinion the speakers are a huge factor. I had an AC15 a while back and wanted to get more of a chimey, swirly, glassy clean and the blue changed things drastically for the better. You'd be surprised at how much speakers can change the tone. I tried the same amp through a Jensen style speaker and it was a whole different animal. The blues I believe are a large factor in that voxy clean and overdrive tone.

5. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

You're underestimating the role of the speaker. The blue is almost definately the difference you're hearing and feeling. If you were comparing fairly similar speakers, you would be right in thinking that it wouldn't be a huge difference.

The wharf is basically a knockoff greenback, which is a ceramic magnet speaker. The difference between the feel and sound of the ceramic wharf and the alnico blue in an A/B comparison is drastic. I like the wharf actually, but it is no blue. That chimey, glassy, slightly spongy sound is characteristic of the blue, so you will have to learn to live with the difference in the wharf or shell out the money for an alnico speaker (you might consider the emi red fang to save a little money).

To test this, you could run the ac15 through the blues. The problem IIRC is that the 30 doesn't have easily accessed speaker jacks like the 15, but it would be a relatively cheap way to know if that is the difference you hear. I'm pretty convinced that it is.

D

6. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

7. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

A blue and a Cut knob is all you really need.