Vox AC15CC: turn combo into head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

As I was pulling apart my AC15CC to take an inspection of the tubes I wondered if anyone has just pulled the entire chassis (and reverb unit) out of the combo and built a nice, easily accessible head out of this amp? Here are my reasons for even thinking about this:
    1. Accessibility to the tubes
    2. More "breathing room"? The amp seems to get hot pretty quick <I think Voxes are known for this?>
    3. Controls facing front instead of top loaded. I personaly don't mind the top loading, but maybe at a gig that would be a PITA? It's also hard to see the dial you are actually turning sometimes.
    4. Instead of replacing the speaker (and killing the warranty) putting the chassis into a head and using it with a cab might be a nice alternative.
    5. Use the cab/speaker as a nice new very semi-open 1x12 speaker cab that looks cool?
    Do you guys think this is feasible, economically viable, safe? I'd hate to do any damage to the amp by turning everything on it's side.
    Anyone? Head/Cab builders jump in...

2. Gasp100

I would not say it gets overly hot, but it warms up pretty well.
    If you use an 8ohm extension cab you have to defeat the internal speaker, right (by using that existing input)?
    When I pulled the chassis I didn't take off the back panel. I just undid the 2 screws on each site of the cab and it pulls right out.
    I don't know, it just looks like a pretty easy job and would be pretty neat to just decide "Today I'm going to go head with cab" and then if the need arose, "Today I'm just going with the combo"... just a thought. Probably digging too deep (which I do often).
    BTW - this "blem" is freaking mint... I've been over it with a fine tooth comb and I cannot see any issues with Tolex, piping, nothing.

Lamotta, have you retubed yours and if so did you do anything special (ie. NOS in V1, maybe a slightly different preamp tube in V1, etc...?).
    The cleans and slight breakup are killer. The higher gain sounds very raspy and grainy to me. I cannot tell if it's the Wharfdale, possibly tubes or maybe it's just my guitars. When I played a model in the store (with a humbucker guitar) I remember liking the OD more.
    Not a deal breaker by any means, I play clean and breakup 90% of the time and would most likely use an OD or boost pedal anyway.

3. Gasp100

I guess it would be silly to put the Alnico Blue in anything but the combo cab. I don't really know much about amp "innards" but I do know everyone likes the Mercury OT's so it sounds like you got a nice modded amp.
    I think it's nice stock. I would think the speaker will need to be broken in to give a fair review. But, I'm not waiting around to test out the Celestion Blue. So, I think I'm going to put the Wharfdale in a 1x12 cab and test that with my other amp head. Should be interesting, this way I could break in both speakers and also compare/contrast with different amps as well. I'll hold off on replacing the tubes just yet.
    Someone mentioned "clipping" the bright cap? I'll have to research exactly what that does (besides void the warranty :eek:)
    I like this little amp so far though, the MV works really well and the clean tones are great even at very low volumes.
    Just curious, for moderate volume levels I've tested the MV dimed and just a touch of "volume". Then I've compared that with the MV around 4 and the volume around 4 (able to break up picking hard). I'm leaning towards this second setting more. I have to drop some pedals in front of this to test as well.
    Any opinions or settings that you like (maybe we should take this "offline" into a PM).
    Peace, Greg

4. Gasp100

Now things are getting interesting with this little beast. BTW - your settings sound very close to what I will be using (I'm also using this in the same context as you). The bright cap mod sounds easy and seems to make sense, but I will most likely create a wish list here (and other places) and bring this to a trusted amp tech to review.
    The idea of ditching the verb completely and adding a cut circuit/control is VERY interesting to me. I don't have verb on my other amp (the sound is so 3D there's really no need/use for it) and I can live without it on this amp as well. I believe the cut control really helps attain some nice tones and can dial out the grainy-ness we are talking about on the higher gain setting in the top boost channel.
    I'll definitely look into the merc OT as well (I believe I have one in my Winfield amp and that sounds amazing).
    Thoughts on the trem on this amp? I personally love it -- darker, creamier, deeper than my old BF Bandmaster for sure.
    I can't wait to get the Blue in here now. At least that's one "mod" I can handle myself ;)

5. Gasp100

Well, I got my partscaster Tele back from the shop (that's a topic for another thread) and did some A/B'ing with this Tele vs. my G&L Bluesboy (deciding which one might have to go) through the Vox before and after installing the Blue.
    I'm not really sure what the deal is, but I was growing concerned about the amp because it was pretty buzzy at higher volumes (no paint peeling or anything) and certain notes would just buzz insane. It was also quite noisy with the gain up (some clicking and artifacts as well, not just "normal noise") and like I said, the OD <even the cleans at high volume> were brittle to say the least.
    So, before I swapped I ran the AC15 into my trusty Peavey Sheffield 1x12 and it sounded MUCH better. I'm not sure if it was the cab or what but the speaker sounded much tighter, articulate, etc... even though it's a pretty midrangey and dark speaker.
    So, I moved forward with the Blue installation in the Vox and I have to say... it's amazing. Almost all of the issues that I attributed above to the "amp" or tubes seem to have been the speaker. I'm not saying the speaker is a bad tone, but this is clearly the bomb. Now, the OD is still too grainy for my tastes but that is not why I really bought the amp. I do think the bright cap mod to make it take pedals better might be a good thing. It doesn't seem to like the Timmy (which is odd) but the crunchbox actually sounds pretty sweet so far.

6. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I kept the reverb, although I've replaced the tank with the accutronics unit.

i removed the master volume pot and replaced it with a concentric 500/250k pot for master and cut.

more later, on the way out the door.