VOX AC15CC w/ Celestion Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sqadan, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sqadan

sqadan Member

Is anyone gigging with the Vox AC15CC / Celestion Blue setup? I'm thinking about going this route as a replacement for my AC30CC2 which is just way too heavy and awkward to haul around.

If anyone has this setup, can you speak to how it performs at high volumes? Does it compete well with louder drummers? What's the headroom like? Does it accept pedals well?

I really love the Vox sound so I'm familiar with the basic sound of this amp... however, I've only ever played it with the "wharfdale" speaker.... So I'm also curious how the Blue compares.

Thanks in advance! :munch

2. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I gig with the AC15CC w/ alnico Blue. But we keep the stage volume down as much as we can, so I can't comment on competing with a loud drummer. As far as the alnico blue goes, it sounds smooth! I love it.

I will say that I keep the master volume turned up all the way and turn the channel volume up as far as I need to get the volume I want. I think it sounds richer this way. This gives me a great clean tone as loud as I need it. I use an OCD for my overdriven tones. This amp sounds best with a pedal that has a flat frequency response IMO. It already has plenty of mids, so a tube screamer type pedal has too much mid frequencies for my ears.

One other thing... this amp goes into distortion very gradually, so even if you need to get louder, it goes into a slight overdrive that most people would still consider clean. I like that. But it definitely does not give the clean headroom of the AC30, and it's far from the headroom of a Fender.

3. dave s

dave s Member

I've gone the exact same route. However, I swapped OUT (still have it) the AC30CC2x for the AC15H1TV (Heritage Series). It STILL puts out plenty of LOUD and clean even at outdoor gigs and on larger stages.

Used to laugh at the 'yeah, but it's a LOUD 15 watts....' The AC15 definitely fits into this category.

No actual gigging experience with the AC15CC1 with a blue, but guess it would be in the same loudness category as the H1TV.

One thing I would recommend is replacing ALL the tubes up front before you start gigging with the amp. Both my VOX amps got full new tubes after the CC2x melted down twice on gigs due to tube failure.

dave

4. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Yeah, I bought the Wharfedale version and played it for a year before switching to the Blue. I also have to keep stage volume down (and I'm mic'ed) though I think it would get pretty gritty at the volumes needed to keep up with a hard hitting drummer. That said, it is a loud amp, and the Celestion Blue is just a thing of beauty. No knock against the Wharfedale, it's just that the Blue has that venerable swirly, creamy, Voxy 3D sound that nothing else can get. For extra dirt, I've got a Burst E, an OCD, a Crunch Box and a Das Fuzz Ge...all of which sound great. Your Small Fry, BoR and...ESPECIALLY...the Sunface would love the AC15 with a Blue. Voxes love the fuzz.

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I would humbly echo the sentiments of getting the AC15 handwired series, and the cab with the Blue. The Blues sound better to my ears than just about any speaker I've played with EL84 style amps. And the AC15 handwired really surprised me a ton.

IMHO, of course. ;)

6. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'm doing the same thing as Randaddy. Master volume all the way up, and volume where it needs to be for the venue. I use a tim, landgraff DO clone, or brown rabbit for my dirty tones. Alas, I still haven't been able to get a blue speaker yet. Hopefully soon.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I use to own an AC15CC with Blues and although it did have some decent tones, it just sounded overall small and thin. I'm not sure if was the small cab it was in or the voicing of the amp but I just couldnt get it to sound the way I wanted. I ended up selling it but u will say the Blues greatly improved the tone over the Warfs.

Now the newer AC15HW is a fantastic sounding amp, just as long as you get one free of bugs and defects.

8. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Im using one with a Weber Blue Dog and while it does the job, I have to agree with Sniper-V on it just sounding kindof small.

9. codeorama

codeorama Member

I carrying your AC30 cc2 is the only problem, get a road case for it. I paid 250 for a flight case and it was money well spent. The amp is easy to move around and its well protected.
    Well worth the investment.

10. billygoat

billygoat Member

For me, the ac15cc1 with blues was okay in terms of loudness, but with an Eminence Tonker, it was really frickin' loud. No speaker breakup at all, and I could thwack the front end with a clean boost, without the sound turning into mush. I really liked that setup...But in the end, it just didn't sound like me, and I went back to my trusty old boogie .50 cal+

11. sqadan

sqadan Member

Wow...

Thanks for the info folks... I may take a closer look that the AC15H / Handwired... It's only a few hundred more than the AC15CC w/ blue speaker.

Thanks!

12. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I would highly suggest this. I personally was not into the Custom Classic models. But I was very pleasantly surprised with the Handwired Series. In my humble opinion the difference between those amps sounds like a lot more than a few hundred dollars; but the beauty is that the price difference is only a few hundred dollars, like you said.