Vox AC15cc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesooze, Feb 12, 2008.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

Opinions on these amps? Not looking for a main amplifier (use my Dr Z 38 Sr for now) but am interested if these have a good reputation or are seen as not reliable or a "cop out" sound.

I know they're not up to snuff to original Vox AC30s and such, but are they worth the 600 bucks?

2. thesooze

thesooze Member

3. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

I had one for a few weeks, and got rid of it.
    It had a terrible sterile/brittle tone and the reverb was really bad.

do you not like the Dr. Z?

4. Digam11

Digam11 Member

I`ve had nothing but praise for mine from my ears to all that have heard it. Play w/ it for a while , changing settings, etc .... you`ll love it.

5. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

...not sure what that means other than 'not so great' in some respect??

These amps sound awesome and are an incredible bang for the buck. I've had one (with the Wharfdale speaker)for a couple years now with no problems. I don't gig with it so can't speak to the roadworthiness of it, though it doesn't sound like you would be either.

Do a search, I think you'll find mostly positive feedback. Then you'll find a few folks who say they crapped out, etc. Then you'll find the ones who just say they're crap based on no experience at all or based on the fact that they're from China.

+1. Agree on that one. If reverb is a deal breaker for you look elsewhere.

6. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Had one, played a few gigs, sounded ok. Power switch was d.o.a. at the 4th gig. Sent it back. Glad I brought a backup.

7. straticus

straticus Member

I had one for a few weeks and returned it.

That amp really needs a cut knob! IMHO, it was very bright and, as stated above, the reverb was pretty bad.

On the other hand, the Vox AC15H1TV is one of the best amps I've ever played.

8. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

I own one and with a few minor mods, bright cap clipped and some JJ's it's the most amazing little amp. Reverb is pretty bad, but that also is a simple upgrade. If you like/need reverb.

Tone sample

Ran$ome

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I've gigged with mine for close to two years and I can't say enough great things about it. Its a Vox not a Fender. It's magic is in the upper-mids. It has a very useful Master on it. I have not been on an indoor gig where it was not enough power. I did put in a Eminence Red, White and Blue as it did bring up the bottom end just a touch, but the Wharfdale is a great speaker too.

There seems to be a common trait here that if your amp is not from a boutique dealer or a vintage amp then they line up to poo-poo it. Mine has seen at least 150-200 gigs and rehearsals. Not one problem.

10. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I use a reverb pedal usually but what info do you have on upgrading the amp's reverb?

11. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I think you just replace the tank with a nicer tank.

There is a lot of ac15cc mod talk at plexi palace, I was looking over there earlier tonight. i think a bright switch and a cut knob will make this thing sound even better than it does now, and those are both very simple mods.

although I will say it sounds lots better past noon on the master. and the reverb isn't any good past 3 or 5% on the knob. bleh.

12. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

As I recall not all tanks can be swapped in and out but I 'll check out Plexi Palace. I agree that the AC-15 sounds better with the master cranked up as much as possible. However I have been in a few gigs where either the crowd was more reserved and/or the room was loud and little. Bringing down the master and still having some decent grind without sounding like a buzzing mosquito was a bonus too.

13. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Well I spent 30 minutes trying to find the "Bright Cap"mod and I gave up. Nobody seems to want to divulge this little tid-bit. If you can link me up please do.

14. bunuel

bunuel Member

The new chinese AC15s got a bit of something going on, but in the scheme o' things they definitely ain't worth $600! You could buy 2 vintage kalamazoo Reverb 12s for that & they'll kick the heck outa the chinese stuff, especially in terms of build quality & 'verb. For that matter, if you ain't addicted to EL84 powered amps (as I sorta am), you can occasionally find a vintage Ampeg Reverberocket for about $600 and you'll never hear a better 'verb circuit or have a more bombproof amp. Pass on the slave labor built junk, for other reasons too!

15. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

16. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I did a web search for one, they are not exactly popping up everywhere...they are either very sought after and/or rather hard to find. Do you have any connections?

17. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

dang it didn't pull up a thread, just a whole bunch of chat on Vox. If you can get the title of that specific thread I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

18. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I mean, I just busted open my AC15 (which I'm keeping now) and I was really surprised at how pretty it looked inside. All the tube wiring is at right angles. The tube sockets are mounted to the chassis. the boards aren't super thick but they don't seem too bad. Worth the $0 I paid for mine, anyway :p

It is gonna be a pain in the ass to mod because I'll have to pull the board out of the chassis to get to the solder pads (underneath).

There is a cap wired across the top boost volume pot. It is the bright cap. You can wire it to a switch or remove it.

I just bought accutronics reverb tank 8EB2C1B which is the proper replacement for like $37 shipped. ebay. the guy has four more.

i am really happy with this amp. I wanted one when I played one with a wharfdale but the blue does everything the wharf didn't (mainly, no flub, even with my dark as night LP special). I think removing the bright cap will do it for me, but you can add a cut knob (presence, essentially, i guess?) without much difficulty.

19. bunuel

bunuel Member

I think it is a bit of both, the word has gotten out a bit on these cool little tone Kalamazoos & they do seem to be fairly rare. Nice little units, much like a Princeton, but with EL84s, which for me is a good thing. I don't have any sorta line on any -- mine won't be up for sale anytime soon. Bout all I can suggest is to keep an eye open. They show up on Ebay from time to time.