VOX AC15CC1 Mod Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by taylorwfu, Mar 2, 2012.

1. taylorwfu

taylorwfu Member

I've owned a an AC15CC1 for almost five years now. It has been my workhorse amp and been a great amp for me, even though I read a lot about how people don't love the amp or have had issues with it. Recently I was thinking about selling it, but I played it for a gig and fell in love with it all over again. So instead I decided to do some upgrades/mods.

- I bought the Celestion Blue speaker to go in it to replace the Wharfedale
    - I am upgrading the speaker cable and changing the tubes to JJ's from stock.
    - One thing I have not ever liked about this amp were the chintzy power/standby switches. I want to replace these with traditional toggle switches.
    - Thinking about doing the Bright Cap mod, but I am going to wait and see what the new speaker and tubes sound like.

For the life of me, I can't find anything on changing the toggle switches. Has anyone ever done this? Any tips on getting it done? Are there any special switches I need to buy, or will any old toggle switch do?

Thanks!

2. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Check out tubedepot.com. They have a large DIY section with lots of different switches, including the ones you need.
    Also, google Lyle Caldwell at the MyLesPaul forums, he has tons of great info on how to make the CC series sound much better. Better tubes and speakers can only do so much for these amps.

3. taylorwfu

taylorwfu Member

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey taylorwfu,

I got a Vox AC15CC1 1x12 combo amp from a fellow TGPer on a trade. The bright cap mod will smooth out the tone of the AC15CC1. It sounds harsh with the bright cap in the circuit when used with overdrive or distortion pedals. I removed the bright cap off of the circuitboard. I also did the V1 resistor mod which gave the amp a faster breakup by installing a 220k resistor. I bought and installed the Celestion Blue speaker which gives the amp the correct sound for the type of amp that it is. I'm still using the original tubes that came with the amp. The circuit mods and new speaker are worth the extra effort to make the AC15CC1 sound better. Here's the link of where I got the Vox AC155C1 mods from: http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/

Guitar George

5. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I have only worked on the AC30CC models. The power and SB switches in those amps looked pretty stout. I know, because I have removed several of the SB Switches for players. Are they different on the AC15, as far as quality goes.?
    According to the schem, they are just SPST switches. I doubt they are PCB mounted, but you will have to check. If they are "normal" Fender/Marshall switches, you can just order some Carling Switches and drop them in.
    Regards the bright cap....do you play both Singles and Hums.? You may want to consider reducing (rather than removing) the cap value if you do. Maybe down into the 40pf range. If you play fairly loud (easy to do with this amp) that cap may not have much effect any way, regardless of how many mics it is.
    I have never been sold on the "magic" of speakers with an AlNiCo Magnet.
    For half the price, you can buy a great Weber Ceramic Blue Dog that will be a capital improvement over your stock speaker. But I guess you have already made that decision.
    Best

6. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

If your amp has an ef86 tube get a great one. in fact get a few they sound beutiful but highly microphonic. that tube makes the sound for me. Mullards where stock in the 60's. Telefunken I like the old Tesla.

7. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have had a couple of AC15CC1's during the past year. Upgrading the speaker to an Emi GB12 and putting in some Mesa EL84's improved the sound. Dummy me sold a great sounding amp.

I was lucky to find another for $290 on CL. Bright cap on this one had been clipped. I added a Wizard and JJ's. I have only played HB's in this one and it sounds great. Extra headroom with the Wizard. The stock reverb is weak, but a better pan is a cheap, easy upgrade.

I tried a AC15C1 at GC last week with a Epi LP w/P90's and got to say it sounded sweet. But not sweet enough to get me thinking about moving up to a C1 or even better. A Weber Blue in my amp is still something I'd like to try.

8. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Removing c13(bright cap mod) gives you a killer midrange adjustment between 12:30 and 2:30 on the tone control. A sweetness that was not there before is now there in spades. You don't lose any treble removing the cap, it's just there to make the amp bright at lower volumes, but had the bad side effect of making drive pedals in front of it sound like garbage. The Weber Blue or even a Celestion greenback sound awesome, where as a 300 dollar Blue is going to take some 40 plus hours to START to break in and lose it's stiff shrillyness. Once it's broken in, it will start to get super creamy and compressed when you swtart to turn the amp up, which makes it harder to cut through a band. Just my experience(had one for years) and YMMV.