Vox AC15H1TV...good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AaeCee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Heard/played one the other night and was impressed. Any opinions? This is the new TV front hand wired edition.

2. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Yeah I played through one a couple weeks ago. Damn fine piece. But, I can't understand why there is no standby switch. I also noticed a pop when using the pentode/triode switch.

Either way, It's a nice, rich, Vox-defining sound. I'm sure it will get even better once that speaker gets broken in.

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I have one and I like it much. A re-tube with JJ EL84's and a Mullard EF86 helped alot. I got the Mahogany cab combo version, but with the EF86 in there I would recommend the head not combo.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Totally digging mine! It's been on a couple of gigs and even at 15w it's MORE than plenty loud enough.

The EF86 will go pretty loud and still stay nearly clean. The Top Boost side is definitely the FUN side of the amp!

And like someone else said: No standby switch is a head-scratcher. Plus the Pent/Triode switch definitely pops 'ugly' if the amp volume is up.

Great little amp that won't break the elbow when schlepping it up and down the basement stairs and in and out of the vehicle.

Definite 'keeper' amp for me.

dave

5. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

6. Magoomba

Magoomba Member

This is the 2nd non mast vol amp I've owned. This is also possibly the best amp I've owned. It's real hard to stop playing. It's made me late for work because I can just get lost in it. I played for 4 hrs the other day and it just flew by. It's been a long time since a piece of gear has done that for me. It's so frakin great. Before I got it I thought its strong point was going to be shimmering rhythm Beatles type stuff, but Jesus Harold Christ on rubber crutches!!!, put a Les Paul (esp w/ a treble booster) and it is a searing rock/blues machine

7. axattax

axattax Member

Regarding the lack of a standby switch - It's my understanding that the point of a standby switch is to protect the tubes from the sudden rush of current on power-up. Since this amp has a tube rectifier, power-up is slowed down by the need for the rectifier tube to warm up. So a switch would be redundant.

8. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

+1 exactly right !!....most amps with tube recto still have these just because everyone expects it, but definately not necessary.

the one valid argument is being able to cut the power in-between sets without having to shut off....

9. 57paf

57paf Member

I love the punchy, jangly tones that you can get out of this amp! Its the perfect size to hit the sweetspot of the amp without going deaf. I didn't have to power scale this like my plexi and tweed bassman clones. Its also light and portable.
    The EF-86 channel is well voiced, with 2 bass cut switches for playing at different volumes. I tried a NOS EF86, and it became even more articulate and clear. Works well with all guitars. I'll try other NOS tubes that I have on order during the next few weekends in the top boost and the power section to see how that works. The Celestion blue combined with the small bottle power tubes and rectifer is a perfect match. It is jangly, but not ice-picky at all. My desert island amp.

10. poj

poj Member

Between Head+cab and Combo, which is the better choice?

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The head/cab gives you more flexibility (you can move up to a 212 for a bigger gig for example) plus protects the somewhat noise prone EF86. I've played both the 15 and the 30H series at the store (after having a fair amount of experience with Vox amps at home) and I really like the 15 better-just a more useful volume for most things people really do...

12. Magoomba

Magoomba Member

I kinda wished I had gotten head/cab instead of combo simply for the reasons already stated. I'd love to hear my other amps through the celestion blue or the amp through other cabs. That said, it's awful nice to grab and go. I'm even having a padded cover made for it. If it only had a pair of lips I'd marry the damn thing.

13. stu42

stu42 Member

I played one a few times in the store and really liked it by itself. The EF-86 channel set for full bass is big sounding. Nice and deep with beautiful roundness but also with a nice pop and tons of shimmer.

I was going getting set to buy one but decided to test it again with my pedalboard (with Timmy, COT50, Zendrive and Maxon OD-820) but I didn't like how it reacted to my pedals. It reacts much differently than other amps I've used them with.

If using pedals with the amp is important to you make sure you test your pedals with it first because you may not like the result (YMMV etc).

14. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

update: i also put a fane alnico 100 watt in the cab- recommended if you have one lying around...

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I was mistakenly under the impression that it had MV like the AC30. Without it, it's really a bit too loud, even at the 1/2 setting, for my meager studio. Really like it though. Damn!