Vox AC15HW vs. Dr. Z Maz 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pseudohobbit, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit Supporting Member

Let me preface this by saying I'm not necessary shopping, but this is a question about the tone and circuits of these two amps.

I played the Maz 18 112 combo for the first time a few months ago. Absolutely amazing. I haven't had a chance to check out the Vox AC15HW, but I know the Maz is based on the Vox circuit. So, I'm wondering tonally, how they compare. I've played several AC15s (the regular old deal), and didn't like them. They sounded thin and lackluster, but the Maz was full and had character as if that was the way a Vox should sound. Anyway, I've been reading where a lot of people like the HW and it's supposed to sound worlds better than the stand AC15.

Thoughts?

2. andybluesnrock

andybluesnrock Member

I unboxed an AC30HW2X two weeks ago and the sound blew me away man
    I bought it untried as there where none in australia,i had only played the printed circuit board model which i really liked.
    but the handwired is a whole new level of tone mate

tst3v likes this.
  3. fuzzysimpleton

fuzzysimpleton Member

Dr Z has his own thing going on...so to me the Maz is sort of a fresh take rather than a copy or what not. I love what he's doing and so I'd go Maz. Hand wired in a small shop in Ohio by a fella that frequents TGP and is known for excellent customer service.

Z fan boy here I guess

4. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I'm sure that the Z is a killer amp. The AC15HW with a Celestion Blue is an amazing amp out of the box. Give the Blue time to break in and you have an amp that is borderline magical. (IMHO.)

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

At one point I had a Maz 38 and AC15HW1. I haven't played a Maz 18, but tone wise, the Maz could be more flexible, but the Vox have great, well "Vox" tone. The Z to me is not exactly Vox, not exactly Fender nor Marshall. You really need to play and live with a Dr. Z amp, they are special amps. I just wished that the Vox AC15HW was not as bulky (as you can see it's even bulkier than my Maz 38).

[​IMG]

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

Three great amps. Fuzzyland must be a cool place to hang out. Very nice.

7. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I had a vox ac15hw and sold it after I got my maz 18. The maz has a little vox in it, and can be setup to accentuate that, but it is definetly not a vox clone or anything close. I think you can find a lot of great fendery, voxy and even marshally sounds from the Maz and I found it to be soooo much more versatile that the vox lost a place...

tst3v likes this.