Vox ac15hw1 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cjones, Feb 7, 2015.

1. cjones

cjones Member

I am trading my mesa boogie single rec for a vox ac15hw1. I have seen alot of reviews over it but i havent seen anybody actually try to run it clean. I was wondering if anybody knows how clean it can get? Also what kind of pedals are best with it? [emoji111]

2. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Good cleans on this amp. I use a Morley AB box with mind so I can foot switch between clean and gain channel. Then on the gain channel, the Vox foot switch lets you go between Cool and Hot modes. So you can have three different tones at your feet.

3. Brit'ish

Brit'ish Member

The first reissue from 2009? Is what I had and I used a Tim and it worked well

4. Unadan

Unadan Member

Why don't you still have it?

5. Brit'ish

Brit'ish Member

Who knows but I had a Matchless hc30, Tophat Supreme 16 and a Teixeira at the same time.

6. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

It depends on how loud your drummer is, but in 15 watt mode with the master volume switch disengaged you can get pretty decent cleans. Louder if you use a Celestion Blue as opposed to the green back. But it depends on what you classify as clean as well, if you want sparkly clean, you'd have to run the normal channel pretty low, but if you're ok with vintage cleans that have a tiny bit of hair on them, then you can get that to a pretty loud degree. The breakup point on this amp goes on for ages.

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I recommend a Celestion Blue (CB) with the AC15HW1. With that speaker you won't need a compressor; it has a beautiful, natural compression that the amp is famous for.

It is a great amp; I had one but it was a little too big and loud for an apartment setting. So I have an AC4HW1(CB).

8. tubedude

tubedude Member

Great idea. I need to try this at the next gig