Vox AC15tbx vs AC15hw1x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robojim4000, Apr 18, 2016.

1. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

I used to have a 90's Brit Vox AC30tbx. Loved it, but very heavy and very loud. I've been using an AC15tbx from a similar year for a while. Nice sound, but always a little bit boxy with that small cab, missed the oomph from a bigger cab.

Purchased a new handwired AC15hw1x, it definitely had a little less boxyness (bigger cab), and sounded great on its own, but in a band mix (I use in-ears), it seemed to lack the pronounced mids of the old brit one and more concerning, my pedals (fulldrive, 80's rat) sounded a little fizzy, artificial.

Maybe it's becuase the amp had more headroom it meant I was driving the amp less, less natural breakup = more pedal fizziness, I dunno. Clean sounded good.

Has anyone had experience with these 2 amps, or even comparing a Brit ac15 to a Brit ac30??

2. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I have an AC15tbx and AC30TBX of that vintage. Great freakin amps. I can dial them in to be very very close to each other. The 15 is a little boxy, but the tone is basically the same. That said I prefer the oomph of the AC30 as well. I mostly use the 15 for smaller venues. I've played the various HW in the stores and I don't think they sound quite the same as my TBXs, but it's hard to say without using them in context. Mids seemed close, IIRC. But mine have a crushed glass quality that I don't hear in other versions. These two amps basically settled me for amps for going on a decade now, but I'm getting both a fender and marshall itch lately, just to have something else.

3. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

Thanks, very helpful. "Crushed glass" that's a new one on me

4. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Yeah, it's the upper mids/treble thing that it does. Hard to explain or describe. They're crunchy and sparkly, not smooth exactly. Seems to mostly come from a combo of the top boost circuit and the alnico blues.

5. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

I think I know what u mean. Sort of sounds overdrive, even though it's clean

6. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I can't speak to the AC15TBX, but I can tell you that I would wholeheartedly recommend the AC15HW1(X). I have the Greenback version and it is an absolutely stellar amp. It 100% ended my Vox search. It doesn't sound small or boxy in any way and is absolutely classic Vox tone. If you can excuse my iffy-at-best playing, you can get a small example of what it sounds like in a live context at the (iPhone) video below.

I'm playing a Les Paul Classic Antique into the Vox AC15HW1, no pedals used in this song. The other guitarist (and lead singer) is Ebenezer here on TGP and is playing an Equitz Guitars custom build through a Jim Kelley amp.

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

how long have you had the HW1X?

keep in mind the speaker in the TBX has probably been broken in by a good 10-15 years longer than the HW1X.

s360guitarist likes this.