Vox AC30, AC15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steadygarcia, Jan 30, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Anyone here have any advice on recent Vox amps? I have heard that the 1990's AC30 Top Boost models (made in UK) are exceptionally good. How about the AC15? And are the new Custom Classic AC30 and AC15 models comparable to the Top Boost models? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    LC

2. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I until recently had both. I kept the AC-15 as it is lighter and has a beautiful break up at low volumes. I like it's simplicity and it sounds like a Vox. I put in a Eminence RW&B to beef up the bottom a bit but the Wharfdale that comes with it is still a dang good speaker for the AC-15.

The AC-30 was wonderful too but I seem to play at a lower volume with the AC-15. The AC-30 weighs a ton so since I was'nt gaining anything from the AC-30 my buddy is whaling on it and getting some great Vox tones out of it.

I am currently playing in a 3-piece specializing in rockabilly, vintage surf, and r&b grooves. We mic everything so I don't need a wall of doom sound on stage. However I do match the AC-15 with an old Fender Pro for bottom end when we are doing concerts outside. Other than that it's just the AC-15. Noone has ever accused me of being too quiet!!!:)

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Consensus is that the chinese reissue ac30s are among the best reissues around, stacking up pretty favorably to the 90s models in terms of sound.

Quality control is of course a big issue. AC30s have never been reliable, but chinese ones are especially suspect. Thankfully though, almost all of the early reliability issues have been addressed with the most recent ac30ccs. Much higher quality tubes (tung sol + jj) are the biggest improvement.

The stock speakers on the cc2s are pretty crappy though. That's the reason a lot of people prefer the 90s ac30s.... when you compare a 90s ac30 to an ac30cc with blues though, you'll find you may be tilting to the new models.

Haven't yet played the new HW ac30s, but I'm in love with my CC right now... weber speaker upgrade on the way.
    The new ac30s have a ton of extremely useful features. A really good effects loop and two useful channels (I appreciate having the top boost as well as the normal channel at my disposal), and one of the best master volumes i've EVER heard on a mass production amp.

Here are a few quick demos i did yesterday:

clean

dirty

the cleans are straight to the amp with some delay and internal reverb (the reverb is a weak point on these amps i think). Halfway through I switch on some chorus for depth.

The dirty parts start out straight into the amp with the normal channel about 3/4 of the way up, and the master volume at just about 20% of the way up. I really dig the MV on this amp. Later I switch on a fuzzface and play with the volume as i attempt to do some EJ licks.

The rhythm tone is unparalleled. Excellent rory gallagher sound without even trying, its the tone i've been hearing in my head for years and finally found at my finger tips. there's no substitution for an ac30!

4. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I play an AC30 CC2 with a greenback and redfang in it. I upgraded the tubes to all JJs and I think this things great. My buddy (whom I play with every week) has a late/mid 90s TB6 that sounds awesome -- it cannot get the clarity that I can out of mine. Side by side I think they're pretty similiar. A lot of our differences (we use almost the same pedal setup) I think comes from where we prefer the CUT and the fact that his speakers are WAY broken in and mine are still in their rookie year.

The CCs are great amps man, I love mine.

5. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

That AC30 does indeed sound great, thanks for the clips! And those are with the AC30CC using the stock speakers?

6. re-animator

absolutely... the stock speakers aren't even broken in at all yet (got the amp this weekend!).

The lead playing is pretty shibby though.... you can tell my guitar is a bit out of tune :)

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have an AC30CCH. Do you live near me?

8. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

9. Digam11

Digam11 Member

I got my AC15 CC last year and love it ... stock. Weighs a ton, I can`t even think about lugging an AC30 around. Luckily I don`t need all that AC30...the 15 is just enough. :AOK

10. re-animator

11. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

So i've just recently purchased an AC30TBX reissue made in England. And I have to say I like it hands down more then the CC2X. Better all around tone and the vintage feel just can't be beat. Thoughts on from other TB reissue owners?