Vox AC30 Brian May - Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrmojorisin, Dec 20, 2006.

1. mcdyas

mcdyas Silver Supporting Member

I should get it next week to make the comparison.

2. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

I played with a certain high-profile Metal band as a hired gun and played right before Brian in Chicago in '98. There were 30 or so bands on the bill from Creed- Black Crowes- Satriani you name it.

Brian was THE most humble and approachable guy. NO EGO- just a beautiful human being.

Can't say the same for many other acts that day. So I'm not surprised he's designed a killer amplifier.

Kinda sucks he didn't 20 years ago.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Here is some clean chording I did with mine back in '08.

Page of Cups likes this.
  4. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Yes, I know this is a long - dead thread that has been resurrected more than once, but I just wanted to say that sounded fantastic.

5. crambone

crambone Member

6. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Still have it?

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I picked up one recently. Starting to swap components to upgrade (resistors and solo caps, etc.). Torn between reckoning the Chinese Alnico blues or just ponying up and buying a new set. Anyone redone their Chinese blues to the H1777 cone??

8. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I'm wondering why Brian May isn't using these for his live rig.

9. dewman

I meant Sozo caps...sounds great. Not much difference with the new components except fuller/louder sound. But I haven't swapped the trannies. I'd rather swap speakers first for a recent set of blues vs the Chinese ones. I do like the on board boost though. It sounds like a quiet version of Analogman's Beano side by side. But it's already at least 70 percent of his tone. really simple but sounds great. And certainly makes be wish I bought this old Burns Red Special copy I found in the UK.

10. dewman

Did upgrade the components on the AC30BM and it now sounds loud and warm and strong. Getting the Chinese vox blue speakers reconed to 53H1777 cones versus the wannabe cones they used when first making them overseas. I may screw around with filtering a bit with lower value filter caps since by design it's an overdriven but tight sounding amp. I dropped in carbon comp vintage resistairs where possible, and carbon film where the noise from carbon composite vintage Allen Bradley's was just too noisy for recording. It had a negligible effect on tone to use the carbon films. Threw in some vishay sprague electrolytics too and the Sozo caos (except one pair could not be used since they would have pushed against the second preamp tube. But everything else dropped in nicely, thanks to the turret board ptp construction on both preamp and power amp boards.

11. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

May has such an iconic tone. I felt he achieved the "400 pound violin" tone before anyone else. How loud do you have to turn it up to get a searing, singing lead sound?

12. dewman

Loud, may be to loud for some, but the amp is designed to get driven quickly. I actually dig it, and I think with a little attenuation it would be fine to crank the amp and ride the volume knob. Next gig I have Im going to use it.

inaplacefaraway likes this.