Vox AC30 Bright input - any users? Modded Brian May AC30

Shoegazers A

I had an old 64/65 AC30 Treable that I sold for about a year ago. I have always run it at normal/high channel and with tone wide open. A little on the dark side but I slightly boosted it with a treble booster so it worked out fine.

Got my AC30 Brian May modded so it should be as my old one, but there was a misunderstanding and it got modded to be as a AC30 on bright/high input instead. It comes out bright and I don´t need to use a treble booster anymore to get satisfying treble. But it´s a little stiff and not so warm anymore. It´s not that bassy - wich is good. It has treable, but not the pleasant one...

The AC30 BM is based on a AC30 Bass - so it was quite bassy if I used it whithout treable booster and like a "normal" one.

So im not sure if I will fix this, maybe a mini switch and change the first tone cap and have a normal and bright solution, or just stick with the bright. Anyone else use their AC30 on the bright channel? Does yours sound a little stiff and cold?

Last edited:

Roe

My AC30 build got a normalish channel with a 1nf coupling cap, something that works well for me. Before the top boost were introduced, and after the ef86 was discontinued, the bright channel mostly used a 500pf cap but the bass variants used a 1nf on the bright channel and this is what I use on my normal channel (the two other channels are top boost and ef86)

WillLane

I had an old 64/65 AC30 Treable that I sold for about a year ago. I have always run it at normal/high channel and with tone wide open. A little on the dark side but I slightly boosted it with a treble booster so it worked out fine.

Got my AC30 Brian May modded so it should be as my old one, but there was a misunderstanding and it got modded to be as a AC30 on bright/high input instead. It comes out bright and I don´t need to use a treble booster anymore to get satisfying treble. But it´s a little stiff and not so warm anymore. It´s not that bassy - wich is good. It has treable, but not the pleasant one...

The AC30 BM is based on a AC30 Base - so it was quite bassy if I used it whithout treable booster and like a "normal" one.

So im not sure if I will fix this, maybe a mini switch and change the first tone cap and have a normal and bright solution, or just stick with the bright. Anyone else use their AC30 on the bright channel? Does yours sound a little stiff and cold?
I run my C2 on the high-sensitivity TB input. By itself it can sound somewhat dry, but just put a light boost in front of it (I suggest Klones) and it will open up.

Trending Topics