Vox AC30 C2 v.s Fender Twin Amp v.s Blackstar HT-40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ice Monster, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Hello there,

I'm currently in the market for the above amps and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go for.

I play mainly Shoegaze/Post-Punk and Indie Rock sound. I basically need a really big clean sound that works well with delay pedals and overdriven sounds.

My main consideration is also the weight of the amps! I know that all the above are going to be pretty heavy, but I'm wondering which one is the most easy to transport?

The Twin has castors.

Also volume wise. I know that the Fender Twin Amp, the guy has removed two of the power tubes, so is currently running it at 60W instead of 100W. But it also has the option to reduce the voltage, so it would reduce it down to 15W.

2. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Member

It depends on what type of clean you want. I have a twin and its great for fender style cleans. and Loud! as loud as you will ever need. However if you like the vox sparkle then that would be a good choice. It would help to know what type of guitar you have and pedals, but right know I'm leaning toward the vox. because its easier to get good OD and clean out of. The Twin is just clean, I have to use dirt pedals to get any OD out of it.

3. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Thanks for the reply.

My guitars are a Fender Jazzmaster and a Gibson ES335. I primarily use the Jazzmaster.

In terms of the type of cleans. I'm not really sure what I'm be after. I'm influenced by Echo & The Bunnymen, Fugazi, New Order, Foals, Magazine, Editors, Interpol, My Bloody Valentine, The Chills and Mew.

I know that the Blackstar amp also has upgraded tubes from stock.

Sorry for the stupid Instagram style pic, but it was the only one I could find of my pedal board.
    [​IMG]

4. autonomous

autonomous Member

I have a Blackstar HT40. I leave it on the clean ch and use pedals through the clean. Awesome. Cheapest and best way to go IMHO. BTW, I use CMATMODS butah and brownie for dirt. John.

5. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Sweet. Thanks. How do the cleans compare to that of Fender amps?

I think the option of grit is appealing I suppose. But at the same time, I'm basically looking for an amp that I want to use for the next 10 years and not "feel" like changing it. I'm at a state with my gear where I'm pretty happy with my tone and just really enjoying playing in a band.

6. autonomous

autonomous Member

I think you'll find the cleans quite deep and robust. Perfect for a light dirt pedal (butah)and a heavier dirt pedal (brownie) . John

7. schrom81

schrom81 Member

Twin: great cleans, lots of head room, scooped out mid sound, hates OD pedals

AC30: Great chimney cleans, more mids, less head room so breaks up better, Loves OD pedals

HT 40: Kind of a JCM 2000 type thing. Not my favorite in the clean department.

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

the HT40 is a really cool sounding amp.
    I sold my AC30cc2 and bought the HT40.
    I like the HT40 more than the AC30 because I can get a lot more sounds out of it. (good sounds)

plus the HT40 is the lightest w/ 1x12" speaker

AC30s and Twin amps are close to 80lbs.
    ...i literally could not pick up my AC30 which is one of the biggest reasons i sold it.

I'm really digging the Blackstar

also,
    i play a jazzmaster with the blackstar too
    really cool for alternative rock

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  9. Keytar

Keytar Member

Twin amp or Twin Reverb amp? I have a 94 Twin Amp which has a clean channel with pull out master volume and a gain channel. It can be run at 100, 50, 25 or 12 watts. Maybe a little closer to what you are looking for.

10. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

and it weighs in @ 100lbs

11. Keytar

Keytar Member

My point being that the Twin Amp is more that just clean and loud. It actually has a two nice gain channel options, biasing points and wattage options. Maybe the most versatile if the three.

12. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

I mean the "Twin Amp" that your stating. Is it really heavy?

Also, I'm surprised that the Fender doesn't like overdrive pedals. :( I basically use a Marshall Bluesbreaker MKI pedal for all my overdrive sounds and it sounds amazing through my Blues Jr. I just want it clean up abit more so it still "sings" when it's cranked up louder.

I tried out the Blackstar HT-40. Honestly? It sounded nice. The cleans we're nice and deep. It was loud and easy to carry. My main problem tho. I really don't need to distortion channel at all. The type of distortion it produced was much more sort of AC/DC ish or potentially Metal. Too brootalz for me. Obviously I realize it can be dialed in but I much prefer to run it with pedals.

13. Keytar

Keytar Member

Yes it's heavy like any 100watt 2-12 combo. I roll it on wheels and honestly I play it at church in a p/w band so it dosen't move much. I use it at 50 watts and play thru a Rivera silent sister isolation cabinet with a celestion G12 H 30 and it sounds great. I play it up near the edge so it dosen't take much to push it over. I don't think that pedals sound bad with it. It just depends on the tone you want. This amp gives you fender cleans with plenty of headroom and the option of using the gain channels which sound good cranked.

14. modestcargo

modestcargo Member

Why not a super reverb reissue. If you want a warm clean sound they are probably the best fender amp. At least in my opinion Go play one and I would be very surprised if you weren't sold on it first five minutes, given what you are looking for.

You are going to regret buying a twin man. Those things aren't fun to tote around.

15. autonomous

autonomous Member

I never use the OD channel. The clean channel is a perfect match for my OD pedals.

16. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

My main reason for interest in these particular amps is that they are being sold second hand nearby.

The Twin Amp is being sold for £450 and the Blackstar HT is being sold for £400.

17. greeny

greeny Member

From what you have been saying, it sounds to me like the AC30 will more likely give you the type of sounds you are after. But it's very heavy. Would an AC15 be man enough for you (clean wise). If so it could be perfect.

18. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Hmm.

Well, tell me if I'm wrong but the AC15 doesn't seem like that much of a "step up" from the Blues Junior?

19. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

So I went and tried out the Fender Twin Amp.

I fell in love with the clean sound. Even thought I couldn't really go for it volume wise, I could tell that the cleans sounded fantastic at low volume. The amp was running at 15W low power and it was plenty loud enough, but I think I'll try it at 60W to see it's full potential.

The dirt channel, while I had no use for it as I mainly use pedals, I think it could be potentially useful to have another source of dirt for when recording happens. The seller told me he only ever used it as a boost channel combined with a pedal for solos. Whilst my band aren't really requiring solos, in the future I might be playing in a different band so who knows!

It's heavier than the Sun, but it's gonna be worth it.

20. levous

levous Member

Interesting. I have a twin reverb, no tube mods or anything, and the clean is, indeed, Sunday mass clean. It takes pedals well enough but never breaks up on its own so I find it gets thin after a while. I frequently have my testes handed to me by my other guitarists 5150. So I am moving into the el34 amps now.

I was considering parting with it but maybe I'll check into the downscaling mods. It would be nice to keep a fender in the house.