VOX AC30 CC KILLS!! VINTAGE VOX TONES! Link to sound file too!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I HAD to pick one up! :eek: FRIGGIN KILLER!

A lot of chat about these lately, and for GOOD reason! WOW! It can give you all of those old recorded vintage Vox tones that always seemed so elusive. BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES!! REM REM REM!!
    The cleans are BEAUTIFUL! TRUE Vox tone! No clones here! The limitations and hard treble (Blizzard of nails to th eardrum) have always stopped me from buying a vintage and RI Vox. Well, with the adjustable EQ, internal routing of both channels, MV, and other cool features, this one was just a MUST have. The tone is 100% world class. INSANE!! Even the reverb is darn good! Another point. I THOUGHT they had solved the SS rectifier problem by finally getting one to sound like a tube, but it IS a tube rectifier! YEEEEHAAA!!!
    :BEER Vox even made their OWN transformers and everything for this amp. They got it RIGHT to my incredible ear. :D It really nails those older Beatles tones with EASE! Paper back writer, She said, Birthday etc. They are HERE!

If you want to hear me demoing the amp, I did a sound file and posted it in the "members clips" section HERE.. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=120131

Its about 3 minutes in varying styles. Dont worry, I rock out a little. LOL! I plug in with everything about halfway, and just adjust EVERYTHING from the volume knob on the guitar. My fingers were frozen, so I started with a simple little blues with my Chapin Stratahoula. Volume on the guitar at about 1\2. Then I crank the volume on the guitar and play the intro to "PAPERBACK WRITER." VERY GOOD! I pause, then plug in my PRS, and play some standard blues licks, then a chord melody to the Beatles "Yesterday". I tried to play really simply and just show the amps tones. There is some digital clipping as usual, but man, the amp sounds INCREDIBLE. I am NOT easily impressed! You guys HAVE to check one out. SMOKING AMP for $839 bucks!!!!!!!!! I got the 1\12 combo, as I have a 2\12 cab with celestion Blues already. The clips are with the stock 1\12 speaker. I hope you like the tones!

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I likey, I likey. Great tones.

I've been successfully fighting off GAS for this since it came out. Not sure how much longer I'll last.

EP

3. parker

parker Member

That was very cool Tag, love the chimey cleans of the Vox..... the overdrive tones are super too, thanks !

4. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

Wow.

Makes me want one of those AC15CC's that they're selling for $600. :Devil

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The Beatles didn't use AC30s on Paperback Writer, She Said, or Birthday, and there isn't even an electric guitar on Yesterday.

Paperback was a Vox 7120 with a solid state pre and KT88 power tubes. She Said was most likely a Maestro fuzz into a Fender Showman with a 15" speaker cab. Birthday was a blend of Silverface Twin, Blackface Deluxe, and direct. A lot of Showman use on Revolver.

Other than as a keyboard amp and the vibrato guitar on Its Only Love (on Rubber Soul), they didn't use AC-30s past the first album. By the time they were on Ed Sullivan on their first US tour, they were using AC-50s and then AC-100s, both of which used EL34s for power tubes.

Don't get me wrong, I love AC-30s, but their Beatle association is mystifying.

But you still have a fantastic sounding amp, and I don't want to diminish your enjoyment. BTW, Jeff Beck did his Yardbirds cuts with an AC-30 and Page used an AC-30 for most of the guitars on Physical Graffiti, so you're still in the company of royalty.

6. Tag

Thanks for listening!..... I have read so many different reports on what they used and did not use. "She said" sounds almost exactly like REMs "whats the frequency", so I would REALLY think its an AC 30. Birthday as well. I trust my ears more that what even George Harrison would remember,(which he never seemed too) and I am a Fender maniac. That is NOT a Fender amp IMO! Not by a long shot! In any case, this amp is NAILING those beatle tones, which I had always had so many problems with......Oh yea, I just played "yesterday" because I like it. :)

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Well, the problem is there are photos of all those sessions. George's memory isn't even in it. Aside from some Rubber Soul sessions, AC-30s weren't in any of the rooms when the Beatles were recording after the first album. Revolver was mainly Showmans and some solid state Voxes, including some prototypes that never went into production. The lead on She Said sounds a LOT like a Maestro into a Showman to me (same setup was used on Hey Bulldog which is a similar sound), but it might have been the solid state distortion circuit in some of those weird Voxes (none of which used EL84s).

Birthday was not any kind of Vox. By the White Album they had gotten out of the Vox contract (after Brian died) and were using nothing but Fenders in the studio.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

CONGRATS!!!

This amp is a must have...I had the 2x12 w/ Blues for a while and had a BLAST with it.

:BluesBros :BluesBros

9. sws1

sws1 Member

I can assure you the Vox CC that I tried didn't sound like that. Maybe I would have came home with one.

10. michaelg

michaelg Member

Very Good, Very Good!!!

11. Tag

I still disagree. My ears tell me they were Vox amps. Could be the SS ones at some point. I read at another vintage and new amp tonefest, the SS voxes had some guys favorite overdrive tones of all! I believe Harrison told GP magazine, Paperback writer was a AC 30, but then stated something else in other interviews. Maybe they used a Fender with a POD AC 30 sampler in front. :p

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Nope, there are photos of the Paperback/Rain sessions. Vox 7120s.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Tag, I surprised at you, something other than a Bruno/Fender? Welcome to the dark side:angel I agree that the Vox sound is something very speciall-all the way from the Beatles thru Brian May to Tom Petty and REM. Both a very good clean and a very useful distortion. That said, I prefer the vintage Vox sound to the CCs. They're good but don't have the complexity to the cleans or the sweetness to the tremelo that the old ones do. There are some issues with reliability and weight with the originals, so for gigging the CC might well be a better choice. The reverb on the HW is better, too (of course, it's Tony's). Still, very nice amps and killer deals at the price. Nice to see you branching out...

14. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Tag, killer playing all the way around. Would sound good through a Pignose. (Apologies to Pignose fans and anyone who has photos of them being used on a Beatles session.)

15. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

congrats:AOK

my friend purchased one months ago and i've had time on it.

i dunno...it really didn't do anything for me personally, but i may be jaded because i had a particularly sweet egnater tol 50 2x12 combo that i loaded with a jensen P12N reissue and a gh30. bruce told me the 2x12 combo was identical in size to the ac30..you could use the same flight case if needed.

and by comparison, the vox seemed very harsh to me. conversely, the eggie was a tad too dark to achieve the classic vox chime but it broke up more musically.

the last amp i've played that managed to do the old school vox chime thing nicely, to my ear, was the aiken tomcat. the divide by thirteens also have it nailed. the proper balance of presence/grind and tube bounce/flow.

another friend had the older reissue and with his gretch semi hollowbody and ricky 12 he extracted very authentic tones.

just my .02

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Awesome clips Tag. I am really gasing for a Vox AC30CC head to go along with my vox AC15TBX.

If you really want to see a great book on what the Beatles used. I am reading Beatles Gear and its great.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Those are great clips, I want to pick up a cc head, so cheap, how can you not love it?

18. Tag

Thanks for listening everyone! Also, these clips do not even TOUCH the amount of tones you can get! That was all just TOP BOOST channel with standard EQ setting, standard BIAS and Filter cap settings.

A few more comments. I have been A/bing this with my Bruno UG 30. I have had my UG 30 next to many vintage AC 30s, and have preferred it to every one due to the sweetness of the top end. It also has the best NOS tube all the way across. Well, the Vox is hanging TOE TO TOE with the Ug 30. The UG has a bigger bottom end, less gain, more detail in the highs, but that is due to the lower gain. The Vox breaks up on top. Both of these amps are SMOKING. I really question the guys who are saying these things are harsh. They are smooth as silk! This thing is BRAND new, with chinese tubes, and its right there with my UG 30! LOL!! You have to balance the preamp with the MV. Its like ANY MV amp. If you just dime the gain, and keep the MV low, its going to sound WAY different. If you want the vintage type of tone, BALANCE the gain and MV to NO MORE GAIN than you need. keep the MV high! Also, linking the two channels, keeping the CUT knob down, and using the bright switch on the Normal channel yields INCREDIBLE tones!! I hooked up the Cow 45 and A\Bd it, and yes, it blew the VOX to Uranus for big Huge cleans, but its a totally DIFFERENT sound. Also, the Cow 45 is simply the biggest, deepest sounding amp I have ever heard by a wide margin.
    This CC30 is one of the best amps you can buy for ANY price! WHAT A STEAL!!!!!!!! Both Victors and GC said they can not keep them in stock. Guys come in, plug in and take them.
    :BEER

19. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Get some good tubes in that thing and some hours on the Celestion blue and it should be even better :BEER

20. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure "What's the Frequnency" was a Mesa Tremoverb with a Les Paul. Peter Buck said the Tremoverb inspired him to write heavier songs and he used it to write and record that whole album.

Back on the original subject, I've had an AC30CC2 since early May and I think it sounds great. At some gigs, I could use more volume but for most it's just fine. I think it's an incredible value considering what else is available in that price range. Do your self a favor and change the preamp tubes if they're the cheesy Chinese tubes they first came with. It's such a pain to get the amp apart that I just completely retubed mine when a preamp tube went out. Watch out for the standby switch, too. They're kinda flimsy. And they're on backorder.