VOX AC30 CC - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by martie6621, Mar 18, 2006.

1. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Now that Korg has had a couple of years of debugging the Chinese version of the new AC30 CC, I thoght I would poll the Einsteins of TGP for an approval rating of these amps. Any Hot Sports Opinions out there? I know, I know, we wish that Tom Jennings and Dick Denny were still making 'em in England, blahblahblah - and I have had a few from there myself - but the fact is that Korg controls the manufacturing in China and they sound pretty good to me:rolleyes: . For those who have actually owned one, what is the user's opinions? I personally thought the last of the Marshall outsourced AC30s were not all that inspiring. In fact my Bad Cat Cub I slew a few right here in my home studio. Queue up here for your answers:) .....you Sir in the back......your name and opinion please.......:Spank

Thanks!

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Recommend that you check out the Plexi Palace Forum. A ton of info on the AC30CC or any other Vox amp and clones too. Better plan on spending all day reading them all !:BEER

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Mine KILLS! There is not a clone Vox wannabe out their that will touch it. It does old Beatles tunes to the T, as well as givimg you all KINDS of various Vox tunes. The bright switch on the normal cahnnel is beyond cool, and the reverb really adds to the overall tone. The chime in the amp is simply unreal. The best AC30 ever IMO.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+1!

5. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

6. p.snail

p.snail Member

I've heard the Hayseed smokes it and vice versa. I tried out both with the blues and without. I really wanted to like this amp, but it just sounded really 2 dimensional to me. It was kind of boring. I'm slowly coming to the realization though that I don't care for el84 amps anymore. I'm sure the build quality is good. Korg is a reputable company and Vox is a great manufacturer. If it works for you then it's the right amp. Just wasn't me.

7. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I've also been thinking about getting one of these amps and I am also interested in the opinions of anyone who has one. I've been doing a lot of reading on PlexiPalace link which someone provided above. From reading various threads there it seems that there were quality control problems on some of the earlier models but Vox has been improving the quality and fixing these issues. The newer models have an improved heat shield for the tubes and have connecters for the speaker, which allows the chassis to be removed without de-soldering the speaker wires.
    The following thread contains a really good clip of one of the PlexiPalace users (AC50) playing Little Wing through the AC30CC. This clip alone seems to make the amp worth the money:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=10530&highlight=jimi+hendrix

8. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I prefer the TBX myself.

9. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I had exactly the same experience. Played one last week at Make n Music and it sounded boxy. I am much more impressed with the Hayseed and the '63 AC30 I owned as well. My opinion might be different with a better set of tubes in the amp. They are by no means a bad amp, the one I played didn't have the openness and chime of my old one or the Hayseed. Some people prefer this sound so YMMV.

If I were to buy one I would do two things- avoid a used one considering all the start-of-production problems ,and bring a backup if I were gigging it.

10. Tag

Wow! To my ear, the clips of the hayseed on here were just awful. The regular AC30 RI smoked it, and the CC sounds better than that one. The hayseed sounded harsh, trebly and thin.

Do you have clips of your Hayseed? I would love to comapre my CC clips to it.

11. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

The CC is the best production ac30 amp I have heard since the JMI era period. In my opinion it slays all the previous non JMI ones I have owned including the tbx, RM anniversary, and many others. It also sounds more like a great serviced JMI one than any clone amp I have heard to this date. When I heard mine and lived with it for a week I sold my HW, a TBX and a Hayseed 30. I have since reaquired a particularly good HW and sold my CC but I can say without reservation that the CC I had was a real winner and I will at some point aquire another. I have owned over 20 JMI AC30's and the CC I had hung in with the best of them. It was a blast to play and worked amazingly with every guitar I owned. If we weren't having a baby any day now I would still have mine. You have to hear it at home and with your band to appreciate it - listening to it at a store just does not give you a very good idea for many different reasons. I endorse the CC heartily. As for the fellow TGP-er who has mine now he believes it sounds every bit as good as his Komet 60 (well 98 percent as good he says) and he says it is a no brainer to pick one up if you are after ac30 tones. If it doesn't blow compared to a Komet I guess it can't be the crappy Chinese bucket of bolts some people on this site claim it must be.

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My friend, a well regarded amp tech & musician with some of the pickiest ears & taste I've ever seen (super opinionated), has an amazing vintage AC30 among his large stable... he got a CC head recently and thinks it's really outstanding, I heard it through a couple of cabs and it sounded pretty good in a 30 min. listening test.

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Now who could that be? ;) :D

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That's the problem, half of the people liked the Vox clips and half liked the Hayseed. In those clips I thought the Vox sounded kind of constipated and the Hayseed had a more open, airy sound. The people that didn't like the Hayseed thought it sounded trebly. That is what I find funny since most of the Vox purists over at the Plexi Palace knock the Hayseed because it has way too much available low end compared to an original.

I have no idea how to make clips but I'd be happy to make my amp available to anyone in central Michigan. For that matter I get to Detroit / Chicago plenty if anyone wants to do the clip thing.

At some point all this stuff is like comparing a cheeseburger and a burrito. There isn't going to be agreement about which tastes best. You need to try them for yourself and see what works for you.

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've played through two and heard a third. They all sounded excellent. Very much dug 'em. Very good chance I'll own one sometime within the next year or so.

16. Ogre

Ogre Member

I played through a brand new one at a store, and it was less than inspiring. Maybe the speaker needed to break in, but it was a fraction of its legendary ancestor.

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

18. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Wow guys - lots of good input on what seems to be a suprisingly good value of an amp considering the price. I mean the Vox Blues alone are around $500 for a pair so if you bought the CC with Blues for around 1500:eek: .........see what I mean? Strong buy at this price point. To even mention it in the same paragraph as one of the JMI AC30s is high praise indeed! Keep those HSOs comin'

19. Tag

It was not just brighter. It was HARSH sounding, with a 'tearing' sound as someone mentioned. Funny, it sounded to me like what I would THINK a cheap chinese amp would sound like.:D

20. myles111

myles111 Member

Personally .... I think the Vox CC is a killer amp and a huge bang for the $$$$.

Great piece of work and engineering by the Vox folks.