Vox AC30 cc or new AC15HW

michael c

I want to grab a Vox head. I have a Vox 2x12 cab with 2 Celestion Blues. Anyone own both the AC30cc and the new handwired AC15? Any thoughts on the differences and tones available. I will be using it mostly for recording/sessions and maybe occasionally for a live gig.

Thanks.

mcdes

Member of no importance
i own both ac30 versions, cc and handwired, not the ac15 though.

the cc has reverb and tremolo but only use them once in a blue moon.

the hw ac30 tonally is far better! it just has ef86 channel and top boost but you can get pedals which will sound better than the stock reverb and tremolo.

the ef86 channel is where its at! the clean is full and clarity is just breathtaking. the difference between the ac15hh and ac30hh is the ac30 gives a fuller more open sound, and you can drop it down to 15watts anyway.

just my thoughts.

michael c

i own both ac30 versions, cc and handwired, not the ac15 though.

the cc has reverb and tremolo but only use them once in a blue moon.

the hw ac30 tonally is far better! it just has ef86 channel and top boost but you can get pedals which will sound better than the stock reverb and tremolo.

the ef86 channel is where its at! the clean is full and clarity is just breathtaking. the difference between the ac15hh and ac30hh is the ac30 gives a fuller more open sound, and you can drop it down to 15watts anyway.

just my thoughts.

So the new hw AC30 is the same as the new AC15, just 30 watts compared to 15watts? I know the cc 15 and 30 have different features.

Do you miss a master on the new Heritage?

dave s

I want to grab a Vox head. I have a Vox 2x12 cab with 2 Celestion Blues. Anyone own both the AC30cc and the new handwired AC15? Any thoughts on the differences and tones available. I will be using it mostly for recording/sessions and maybe occasionally for a live gig.

Thanks.

Michael:

I have a CC2x 212 combos with the Cel Blues AND the new AC15H1TV 112 combo. I know they're not heads, but can give you some differences from a personal perspective.

CC2 has reverb and vibrato, master volume, channel blending and probably some other useful features that I'm leaving out, but all are useful and cool to have. The CC2x is actually TOO much horsepower to really get the amp cooking even at outdoor gigs on fairly large stages.

The AC15H1TV is a more refined sounding VOX than the CC series amps I've owned/tried/played. It also has a half-power switch and plenty of settings to adjust bass response, output volume and the like.

If you consider that the cost of a CC2x combo is about the same cost as the AC15H1TV, the upgrade in overall tone has slanted the 15 to my current gigging amp. And don't let the 15w fool you ... it's freakin' LOUD and can keep up just fine in the full band onstage mix. No problem there.

dave

hamfist

Go for the Heritage series every time !

Time will tell, but I believe that the Heritage series build quality will give considerably better reliability than the CC series.

Sonically, the Heritage series are ahead, yet again. The EF86 channel is a major addition, and well worth having.

Volume - hmmm, yes the Vox Ac's do not seem to have a problem with volume. To clarify that, the AC's always seem to have plenty of volume. The problem can be when they have too much volume !
With my AC30HH, I have found a Hotplate to be essential. just can't get any crunch from the amp without serious attenuation.
last night I played a fairly loud gig with one of my bands (two guitars, loud drumer, blah, blah). NOT mic'ed through the PA. I ran my AC30HH on the 15W setting with 4dB attenuation too ! Could the audience hear me ? - Apparently I cut through like a knife ! This was a medium sized club venue. I could imagine venues where I would need the full 30W, but I don't play them often, and I'm pretty sure I'd have a PA to amplify my amp at those gigs anyway.
My experience is with low efficiency speakers too (G12-65's). More efficient speakers would be even more of a handful !

Go Heritage !!

hw2nw

another vote for the Heritage AC15!!

just BEAUTIFUL tones, all around the board. The amp is simple and just plain rocks!

RickNew

I have the AC30cc1 with a celestion gold and the AC15htv112 with a celestion blue. The only time I even consider the AC30 is outdoors or a huge room when really, really loud and clean is essential. I love reverb but I'll still grab the ac15h almost every time. In the studio or medium room to me it's an easy choice.

wyatt

I really like the preamp options on the AC15HW, The EF86 preamp had been missing from the Vox camp for way too long. Really you get a collection of vintage preamps...late '50's (pentode EF86), early '60's (triode EF86) and the Top Boost.

However, do note that the only thing hand wired on that particular amp are the flying leads, the board itself is PCB. Atleast in the one I saw. I've known of a couple of early buyers that needed warranty repair early (one ended up selling), but really don't know how they'll hold up long-term, I assume about the same as a CC.

IPlayHamers

I used to own the AC30CCH and while it was a decent amp, the AC15HW is far superior. It still has to be hella loud to get to the sweet spot, but I could see it being more useable than the AC30 in certain situations.

Now, I have only played this amp a few times while kicking tires at the local GC, but I'm very impressed with it. Since you already have a cab with Blues, the AC15HW head would be a great addition and through the 2 speakers, you would have more headroom.

Good luck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom