Vox AC30 CC2x clip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Leonc, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Here's a little ditty I'm working on. Features my Vox CC2x (2x12 combo with Blues). Very happy with the tones. When people call this amp dull, lifeless and lacking harmonic richness...I know they're not talking about the same amp.

2. fatback

fatback Member

Nice chime n' grind Leon.

I was guessing that you were using the Thorn-o-caster, until I heard the trem bar...

3. Leonc

Hey thanks fb!

Ya, good ears. Starts with the Thorn T-caster on the left. The grind is coming from my DeArmond M77-t as is the melody (love the Bigsby-like bridge that accounts for the "t") and the 'screamin leads' are coming from my Driskill. All courtesey of the AC30.

4. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

I don't think I have ever heard a bad sound from those amps, so
    distinctive, yet very versatile...nice playing and tune........
    Was that the amps natural compression on the clean sounds, or did you have something in line?

5. Leonc

Sub-D I did in fact have a little bit of add'l compression via a Blackbox Oxygen to get that...well...compressed "country" sound, heheh. But a lot of it comes from the amp. Love it! That was the AC30's "normal" (as opposed to topboost) channel on that melody part.

6. dave s

dave s Member

LeonC:

I'll give a listen at home tonight. I've been thinking about posting a clip of mine as well. It'll probably sound vastly different from yours! Would be interesting to hear the difference.

dave

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Great playing and tones. By the way, I have a DeArmond M77-T also. Got it as an anniversary present from my wife back in '01. Sweet guitar! I like it more with the Dynasonic-like "2000" pickups than with the stock "2K" ones, but it sounds really cool and unique with either.

8. Leonc

Thanks!

Interesting hipfan! I absolutely love the pickups to death. I assume they're stock. I've got a set of three 2000s that have been sitting over at Ron Thorn's for a couple years waiting for an upcoming project. But I've really come to think of this 400 dollar axe as my "secret weapon" :).

9. hipfan

hipfan Member

I had a love/hate relationship with the 2K's. Sometimes, I thought they were ultra-cool; other times, not so much. I think it's because I also play a LP Junior with a very warm dogear in it, and the 2K's (a variation on the P90 construction, but with lower output) sound wimpy when played back-to-back with a dogear. The 2000's sound way different than P90's, so it's easier for me to hear their sonic value on their own merits.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack! :BEER

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

nice clip.
    i love the brian mayish part.
    it's funny that U post this now as a few of us were comparing amps recently. all EL84 type amps. there was a CC there w/ the stock warfedales in. we also took the speaker out into a 2-12 cab w/ blues in it. some of us preferred the voicing of the warfedales and some the midrange compression of the blues. not an entirely fair comparison as i suspect the input tubes react slightly different to a combo as opposed to a head. it was revelatory, none the less.
    can i ask what Ur recording chain is? SM57 and???

11. Leonc

hipfan - yeah, I understand. That's why it's a good idea to have a great P90 guitar too :). Or maybe two, too. :)

Actually kind of ironic because I had played AndyZ's M77-t a few years ago and loved it so I went about trying to find the pickups and eventually wound up having a guitar built with Hilotron pickups in it...and those sounded utterly cool clean, but would squeal like scalded chimp if you put any gain behind them. I wound up yanking them and having Jason Lollar design some custom P90s to take their place. Then, a few months later, I found someone liquidating DeArmond 2000 pups...

zero - SM57 -> POS(tm) Behringer Eurorack 8 -> MI Audio 4x4 card. Tha's it. I dig the wharfedales too. Would have been happy with them but I ran into an excellent deal on this CC2x and couldn't pass it up.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

cool, thanx.
    U're getting decent results w/ cheap gear.
    i'm tracking right now w/ EL84 amps (that are new to me) and struggling a bit to get the sounds i'm looking for. so far, the royer R122 into the chandler germanium is giving up the goods, but i'd like to use my normal micing technique of stereo micing an array of amps. i am trying the wes dooley stereo mic into a pair of vipre on a 2 different EL84 amps and a 50 watt EL34 amp array 2nite.

13. Leonc

Ah...well in my case...ignorance is bliss, I guess.

14. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Can't you get the same basic sound from a Tonelab?

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

with the operative statement "same basic sound", that allows a LOT of room for interpretation. i can get the "same basic sound" by using a groove tubes or a motherload speaker simulator or the waves/PRS GTR as micing up a real amp or array of amps. the more 'processed' the guitar sound the easier to pull the smoke and mirrors.
    but don't get me started going down THAT road.
    we use what we feel is right. thank gawd we still got wood 'n wires running thru magic, glowing tubes and actually moving real air by the use of crappy, old paper cones and magnets of various descriptions.

16. Leonc

Yes I can. Course this depends on the definition of "basic", as zero was saying.

However, what I can't get from that kind of tool is the right feel and response. Believe me, I've used and enjoyed plenty of digital gear; it can be a blast. But in many situations, I still prefer the real thing and pushing some real air.

17. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

nice! i agree that these are great amps and i love mine to death. care to divulge the settings you used?

18. Leonc

Thanks!

Well, I changed 'em around a bit for the different parts, obviously, heheh, but I'll try to get you in the ball park.

The last thing I did was the melody. So those settings are still in tact:
    Used the normal channel.
    vol = 1:00
    master = 12:00
    cut = 9:30
    brillance = off
    reverb tone = 11:00
    reverb mix = 1:00

I used both channels linked with clean settings and the Crunch Box for the harmonized lead. I'm sure the brillance was off. On the tb channel, the bass was about 4:00 or so and the treble was at about 10:00.

I used both channels linked for the crunchy rhythm part, but with much dirtier channel volumes. The master was close to wide open. Futzed around with the tone quite a bit on this one.

19. dave s

dave s Member

Excellent LeonC! It's nice to hear something different coming out of the same gear! For some reason, mine is set to a more 'piano-like' tone and used as a launch pad for the pedals on my board which are used to cover the tones required by my gig.

I have to get away from using amps this way and dig into them more to get different tones. Your amp sounded GREAT on the clip. Nice playing. Nice tone. Interesting 'ditty.'

dave

20. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Good tune and tones. Nice to know that your recording rig isn't uber-expensive too. It's actually very similar to mine, if I ever get around to learning how to use it. The sounds of that amp impress me every time.