Vox Ac30 Clean sound help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by megaboy232, Apr 14, 2016.

1. megaboy232

megaboy232 Member

Hey eveyone ! so recently i been listening to a lot of new music thanks to amazon prime music and a radio station that plays a lot of indie bands. Stuff like Hippocampus, Country barnett, Young the giant, sunflower bean, echo smith, ra ra riot. I been in love with the indie type sound for a while now but i dont have money to get a fender. I currently use a Vox ac30 a newer one i think mine is a year old. Its good but im not liking my tone recently. It sounds very muddy and heavy i guess is the word i would use if the volume is loud. Im trying to get a clean sound that i can like but i havent been able to get anything :/ i currently use the top boost clean and have the volume of the TB at 9 0'clcok. and the treble and bass also at 9. I have no idea what im doing and i really want my sound to be better. I have a duesnberg starplayer tv but lately i been thinking maybe its my guitar that is also causing problems. or my pedals. I have a volume pedal and i read that it sucks out some sound from ur input. I just want my tone to get better and much more cleaner. Should i try different tubes? thanks for the help. :)

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

try another guitar, straight into the amp, no pedals. same settings. report back.

hacinador and eigentone like this.
  3. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Use the Normal channel -- not Top Boost. Master up/bypassed. Channel volume down. Bright switch when using humbuckers. Tone Cut off -- so that it lets all the high frequency content through. Second input if you need more headroom. Should be all you need -- guitar straight in to amp.

Further:
    - Cut some mids using a pedal before the amp
    - Cut some volume using a pedal before the amp - you may not like the loss of highs if you use a passive volume pedal (eg uses no batteries)
    - Use 5751s in place pf 12AX7s

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

You might need new tubes, if this muddiness is something recent.
    But-before you start spending money you might not have to-try a few things first.
    There are probably a few good youtube videos of how to operate your amp, certainly going to learn some ways to set it to get different sounds out of it by watching them.
    Take your guitar to a local shop and ask a salesperson to plug it in and make sure it's at least doing what it's supposed to be doing. Plan on buying a pack of strings or at least some picks as a gesture of good faith, and you should be able to get some helpful information about your guitar and how you can get different sounds out of it.
    Plug your guitar into the same amp that you have at home when at the music store, and see if it sounds drastically different. If it doesn't, there's probably nothing wrong with your amp.
    If the guitar is working right, and you can get the same types of tones through your amp as you see in the videos, it's probably not the tubes, and more likely it's just you needing to get to know your gear better.
    Nobody is born knowing this stuff, so ask questions, read manuals, watch youtubes on your gear, and enjoy the ride. Doing searches on online forums such as this one can often answer the questions that you have, and open up your options for getting the most out of your gear.
    A Vox AC-30, regardless of year/model/country of manufacture, should give you both a substantially loud, clean setting, all the way up to a moderately overdriven sound. If yours can't be dialed in to be loud and clean, then it probably needs to be serviced. Like I said, check one out in the store to see if yours sounds drastically different.
    Hope this helps you out.

5. megaboy232

megaboy232 Member

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! but just a bump to be sure.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Turn the amp up and the guitar down.

JimGtr likes this.
  7. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Treble and bass on 9:00 might be the issue. As a quick "set it and forget it" setting, remember "V for Vox." As you look at the controls from the front of the amp, make the tone controls look like a V. It will cut a little bass and give you a little treble while adding in just the right amount of mids. From there, adjust to taste, using your ears instead of your eyes.

JimGtr likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This is what I'd be doing, and is what I do with my AC30.

eigentone likes this.
  9. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I like both normal and top boost, but tend to live in the normal channel. I find AC30's only start to get interesting once they're turned up past noon.

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This is also true for me. The magic is in the 1 - 2 o'clock position. Magic really happens there, but your ears suffer the consequences.

theanalogdream likes this.