Vox AC30 distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Heartbreaker, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

What pedal is recommended for distortion to go between a Vox AC30 and a Les Paul Historic with hums (AC30 set to clean)?

2. Don L

Don L Member

rat and its variants.

3. singular

singular Member

or a hotcake.time and time again people recommend the hotcake to go with an AC30 and rightly so.

4. sa1126

sa1126 Member

my fkr and ac30 don't get along. i use a prescription electronics RxOd -> hotcake...probably my favorite tone.

5. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I use a TRex Moller to 1. Throw good transparent OD in front and 2. TO have a great clean boost. Boosts are the keys with AC30s.

I am selling my BB Preamp (sounds good, just a little compressed after the MOller) which is great through the AC30.

The original Bixonic Expandora sounds great through the Vox and the FDII is ok. I am getting ready to purchase a Timmy (which is supposed to be pretty open) and I can't wait to hear it through the amp.

I do hear the hotcake is the go-to pedal for Vox but I don't think I could ever rid myself of the Moller and all the clips I hear (I know, you can't tell the tone over the computer) on the net lead me to believe it's closer to a TS than I would like.

To each his own though.

6. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

Great. Thanks for the input and keep'em coming.