Vox AC30 should be banned from music venue backlines

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dreamspace, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

If I played anything except metal I would take the AC 30 over the Marshall all day long as well.
    :dunno

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

No dig at an AC30 but IMO a JCM800 IS very versatile and easy to get good sounds with quickly

My JCM800 does a lot and metal is not the common setting. It's very bluesy, rocky, jazzy and in between

3. crossbones

crossbones Member

I own a couple "vintage" AC30's.
    One sounds just great, the other just kind of sucks. (Even after switching speakers)

I was working with an organization that had us traveling all over the US playing music at large venues with rented backlines.
    The choice was always Marshall, Mesa, Fender and Vox AC30.
    It took me about a year to try them out, but I ended up always going for the AC30's.
    Strangely enough, a relatively cranked AC30 and a lowly, $30 orange Boss distortion pedal funneling humbuckers or P90's was always the best sounding guitar at the event.

Gig Young likes this.
  4. oldbeezer

oldbeezer Member

I would never go to a jam or gig without at least 1 good dirt pedal (I would usually bring my own homebrew 5e5 tweed head AND pedals...people ended up usually staying with my rig until I had to go home lol) just for that reason...live and learn...

5. kinmike

kinmike Member

This should be it's own thread with pics and clips.....

Funky54 likes this.
  6. Funky54

Funky54 Member

It gets better.. I sold 1 set of vintage tubes along with the stock tubes, reverb tank and transformers.. keeping 1 entire vintage set in the amp ands one entire vintage nos set as a spare and wound up recouping almost all of what I paid for the amp.

7. prototype

prototype Member

IMO an AC30 is like a telecaster - you can use it for almost any genre, its just always going to sound like a tele. Great for obviously rock and alternative, but a mainstay in country music and useful for trebly funk and dance playing on the top boost channel. IMO they also work for aggressive rock and even early Judas Priest-y metal sounds when you use a booster out front.

This is going in the way back machine, but i recorded this song maybe 10 years ago when i was still in college and it was 100% telecaster into the normal channel of an AC30. I think i used a Trex Moller or Fulltone FD2 to boost it

Gig Young and geek-mo like this.
  8. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

"Heavy Metal" is kind of a broad genre these days. I bought my AC30HH from a metal guy. Other than the AC30, everything he had in his gear room was Orange or Marshall or some derivative.

He plugged the AC30 into a 4x12 with greenbacks, cranked the top boost and spanked a few chords and it sounded metal as ****. At that point, I was saying, "Shut up and take my money!"

(Of course, I replaced the SS rectifier he installed with a proper tube one when I got home.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    hookakat1 likes this.
  9. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

So you would rather play Crossroads through a stock AC 30 than a nice PLexi in the zone?

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

If I was forced to play that song, absolutely!
    :beer

11. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I'll use a backline AC30 over any other amp, unless there happens to be a Dr. Z, Matchless, or similar amp.....If I can use my pedalboard.

AC30, Twin, Hotrod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe (or a standard Deluxe), or a Marshall of some kind seem to be staples in a backline for a, larger, show.

All of my tone is based around an AC30 style amp, so all my pedals play well with them too.

A few years ago, I had a couple AC30's, a Dr. Z StangRay, and a TopHat Kind Royale..... Our soundman ran a sound company, and was always renting one of my AC30's from me for bigger shows... Because it was usually in the rider to have an AC30 as a backline.

They aren't there for no reason..... and they aren't one of the most popular amps in the world for no reason.... But, I can see that in a small club where an AC30 would be over-kill and might sound sterile if you can't turn it up a little.

12. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I’d have a hard time getting this out of a stock AC30

kevin hart and Gig Young like this.
  13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Anyone who can’t get good tone out of a Marshall 2203 or 2204, even at low volume, just doesn’t know what they’re doing or the amp is faulty.

oldbeezer and Miracle Man like this.
  14. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Why? Crank the normal channel up and you’d be surprised how Marshally it sounds. Of course, a 4x12 with Greenbacks is a big part of that sound, so you’d be using an AC-30 head in this instance with that cabinet.

geek-mo, jdel77, Tag and 1 other person like this.
  15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i think the gear page has been punked.

yeah, pretty sure the gear page has been punked.

:crazyguy

16. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

Oh man. This thread is GOLD.

17. 401rodeoclown

401rodeoclown Member

Take a few lessons and then take the wax out of your ears.

18. 401rodeoclown

401rodeoclown Member

Iears.I've never heard an AC30 called boxy. Hmmm....

19. edro

edro Member

Put all those boxy sucky one trick pony AC30s out by the mailbox. I'll be by on my truck to pick em all up....