Vox AC30 should be banned from music venue backlines

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dreamspace, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

My current AC30H sounds great with all my dirt pedals, just low normal input.

When you jump channels do you jump the low or high inputs?

Mark Robinson likes this.
  2. Stikoun

Stikoun Member

Oh, I hear you. I also sometimes feel everyone else is playing arenas and stadiums if they get to crank their AC30s etc. I love that tone (especially with my treble booster - you know, when you mention Brian May), but never get to use it unless I'm on my own in the rehearsal space. I am a semi-pro gigging musician. Ironically, I feel that the situations I find myself in are more restrictive in terms of volume than when a guy cranks his Plexi in his basement when nobody's home. The venues I play in range from small to medium, but I do play a fair share of outdoor gigs where theoretically, stage volume control is less important. Still, I rarely, if ever, get to work my power tubes really hard. Even after I sold my 100W Marhsall Super Bass a decade ago and started playing lower-wattage amps, such as the AC15, I still can't crank my amp. I'd get yelled at, kicked out of bands and get broke.

That all said, isn't that precisely the point when someone says their AC30 is too loud? That by the time they get the amp working nice and hard, everybody's ears are bleeding? Some modern amps have very good master volumes and/or built-in attenuators. Not the case of current ACs - I feel their master volumes rob them of a lot of the charm. If you love power-tube compression, you are out of luck with most older-style amps (no matter if they are actually old or modern replicas of those), unless they have just the right wattage/speaker sensitivity. So I tend to agree - for AC30s to be useable on most today's stages, you have to turn them down to where they just don't sound as good as we all know they can.

Soothsayer likes this.
  3. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

@dreamspace your just frustrated and ranting.

I own both amps and the VOX AC30 TB with Greenbacks I have with a killer set of tubes sounds KILLER So does my Marshall JCM but the VOX sounds like a VOX and the Marshall sounds like a Marshall.

Its EL84 tone vs EL34 or in my case 5881's

4. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

In my opinion, all amps should be banned from backline.

Then again, I live in the Oklahoma, which means there's no public transportation to rely on to get to a gig, and no sidewalks to walk on. So you drive a car to every gig. And that means bringing an amp to a gig isn't a big deal.

Also, for close the half the bars around here that still have live bands, you're going to have to bring your own P.A. anyway, so an extra guitar amp or two isn't a big deal.

drlucky and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  5. Haruki

Haruki Member

Using VOX AC30s didn't hurt this band's career, even though some think that the amp is a one-trick-pony. ;)

[​IMG]

drlucky, kidmandude and geek-mo like this.
  6. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

AC30 with a treble booster into the normal channel will give anyone all they need.

Didn't hurt this band

[​IMG]

7. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

they are loud, cheap, easy to fix, ubiquitous, and not super easy to blow up. did I mention they're loud?
    they're a safe bet. safe beats better but trickier re: backline choices for venues or a company.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    paulvcarter likes this.
  8. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

Yesterday I tried to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. It was a horrible experience. Clearly screwdrivers should be banned from the toolbox.

9. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

They're hard on tubes even not running them hard. They idle above design limits and have the tubes right behind the speakers.

10. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I'd take an AC30 over a JCM800, every day. You've probably just played some crappy ones, which if it's backline, means it's used and abused and maybe needs some love?
    Saying they need to be banned is simply comical!

11. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

AC30s need to be dialed by a pro in and generally greatly benefit as an effects platform. That sharp tone makes it great for rhythmic delays, which soften the edge (pun entirely intended).

I agree that it’s the last amp I’d want to hear folks plug in dry at a blues/rnb/soul jam.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  12. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I've played a bunch of backline amps for fly dates, and I'll always take the AC30 (or AC15) if it's there. You just need to learn how to dial it in...

geek-mo and kidmandude like this.
  13. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I'd like to add the Mad Professor SHOD to the pantheon of AC30 dirt pedals, BTW.

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Always great to see a fellow "Flat Earther" on TGP!

Awesome!

15. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I played an outdoor gig with just a Les Paul, Beano Boost and my cranked AC/30tbx this past weekend and it sounded glorious.

:dunno

I have NEVER been impressed by the more recent “reissues” Vox has paraded around. So I get that. Frankly I generally haven’t even been a fan of the 90s/00s TBX reissues until I found this particular one I have. Mine has been very played in during its 20~ years of existence and really sounds like all the old top boost Voxes I’ve loved.

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Well stated and true IMO.

17. runningman

runningman Member

good players always sound good regardless of the gear.

bad players always sound bad regardless of the gear.

this is because part of being a good player is knowing how to adjust to the gear.

it's not that complicated.

drlucky and kidmandude like this.
  18. sws1

sws1 Member

The choice of pic plays a huge role. (At least for the Edge. I don't know about Tom deLonge)

19. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Did anyone point out THEY ARE LOUD

...LOL...

20. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I usually knock a few dbs off with some sort of attenuation.

But the funny thing is when you play outdoors all that sound just disappears anyway and all of a sudden an AC/30 doesn’t seem all that loud anymore.

eclecticsynergy likes this.