Vox Ac30 TB, Vox Ac15 Tb, or Vox Ac15htv ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soma89, Sep 21, 2008.

Vox amp i should get?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Vox Ac30tb, british made, greenback speakers

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Vox Ac15tb, british made, greenback speakers

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Vox Ac30tbx, british made, alnico blue speakers

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. Vox Ac15tbx, british made, alnico blue speakers

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Vox Ac15 h1tv combo heritage series

32 vote(s)
    50.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. soma89

soma89 Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to trade my Vox ac15cc1 for a Vox ac30 tb, Vox ac15 tb (not sure what speaker for the tb's but wouldn't mind the greenbacks) or Vox ac15 heritage series combo.
    I like the sound of a vox breaking up and really targeting that. I don't use many effects other then a reverb pedal, ts808, and a vintage style fuzz. I want something that'll sound good with them, especially the fuzz. I play a gibson les paul special (p90s), silvertone 1457, and a soon-to-be Tele.

Can anybody give me some pointers on which one to get? Also any comments on the greenbacks and alnico blue's for the tb's? Are the alnico blues really worth the extra $$?

2. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

The ac15 heritage is an amazing amp - I feel it is a huge upgrade to your current vox amp. Now, with that in mind, there is no master volume, so you will have to crank it up for breakup. It is the kind of amp where pedals are not really needed in order to get great tone. The Alnico blue speaker sounds GREAT with this amp, and I feel it is the only speaker that should be used with it.

3. aziltz

aziltz Member

can i ask how you liked the AC15cc1? I'm thinking about either that or the AC30CC2...i want the full features of the 30 but don't see myself spending that much...

4. soma89

soma89 Member

The Vox Ac15cc1's are famous for being unreliable, and I gotta say it's true. My amp had problems after 1 month of owning it. The ac30cc1's I don't think have the same reputation.

When it comes to Vox-tone,though. the CC series vox amps really got it down. I also like how they allow for easy access to breakup. The only problem i had was that the wharfedale speaker sounded harsh with the master volume dialed for distortion..especially on single coils. I was planning on buying a celestion alnico blue for it but now i just wanna sell it and get myself another, better quality, vox amp. I guess it's cuz i only have one amp so I want it to perform well and be a stable amp. Just for peace-of-mind.

5. soma89

soma89 Member

Nice I like that. Any recommendations to get that break up at lower levels? I was thinking a treblebooster maybe. Is it really loud cranked??

6. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I voted for all of the above. ;)

8. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Ya, if you want the earliest breakup, it's gotta be the 15. The Heritage series also has the pentode/triode switch to drop it's output to 7.5 watts, which might help in getting the breakup 'earlier' (i.e. at lower volumes).

And fwiw, I think the Alnico Blues are absolutely the way to go. I kind of shrugged off that a speaker could make that much difference until I tried one. Huge.

9. soma89

soma89 Member

Ya, So far i'm diggin the h1tv but i also like the ac30tb's and tbx's....but then again I heard theyre so clean and it's hard to get them to break up..

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I'm still loving my AC15TVH combo I got earlier this year. Best amp I've ever owned. Put a full retube of JJ's with Hot 12ax7's so it's on the verge of breakup at minimal band playing level. Only takes a slight od to push it over the top. This even works good in the bedroom too. And like the others above; Speaker Make BIG Difference.

11. 205

205 Senior Member

Thats a difficult choice to vote on.
    I have a ac-30 and ac-15, both with the blue speakers- they are two totally different amps. You'll really need to crank an ac-30 before it breaks up, and they are LOUD!! the ac-15 will break up ealier, in some cases to early so they can lack head room in some situations. The greenbacks apparantly have more clean headroom, maybe someone else can confirm this.
    I'd say try to stick to the British made versions as they are getting pricier and more sought after.

12. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Nah, with the Vox labeled Greenbacks the AC30TB is still ridiculously loud before getting any usable breakup. But my biggest gripe with them is that they colour your sound ways more than a normal greenback. I get the impression these were cheaper made than the normal M's but I could be wrong. I tested it by running my other amp head through the speakers and although it's a Tweed Deluxe derivative, it suddenly sounded 85% like the AC30 :messedup Which I why I think they colour your tone too much...
    We recently got a post phase inverter master volume installed in the AC30TB and that does work as good as the one on the AC30CC line. If you have a good tech in your neighbourhood it's an option to have one installed.

Anyway, if you want to buy another amp and want breakup, I think the AC15HTV has the nicest sounding breakup, really. You do need that Cut knob set pretty high, otherwise it sounds a bit shrill.

13. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Not quite on topic, but I am going to have to respectfully disagree and agree with some of the stuff you are saying here. Not sure what the talk is about the AC15s failing, but I've had mine for about a year and it is a hand-me-down from a previous owner that had it for another year - yet to run into a problem. I think it's a very reliable amp and the fact that it's only running two EL84s and two 12AX7s makes it less of a hassle.

I will agree however that the Wharfedale speakers did make things sound harsh. The OEM speakers are pretty cheap to begin with so when you start to reach the break-up point, it starts to muddy up and lose clarity. The Blue speaker upgrade (or another equivalent clone) definitely improves the tone a LOT.

I will also agree with 205 in the sense that the AC15 and AC30s are two completely different amps. The Vox 'chime' that everyone raves about is only apparent in AC30s on their Brilliance channel. Otherwise, the AC15 sounds very close to a clean Fender amp but not as bright. In fact, I love my AC15 for this very reason because I feel like that tone is more versatile (But that's strictly my opinion). That being said, the break-up that the OP is looking for may have to be a little more specific because the breakup points for both amps are different in tone.

14. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

The Korg era TBX with Blue Alnico's seem to the the choice of most touring acts i've seen. Probably not the best sounding, but pretty damn near bullet proof. I've had zero issues with mine since new...goin to the grave with me that one ;)

15. soma89

soma89 Member

16. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

I've got a Matchless Lightning 15 that I've been using to gig for about two years. I'm in a four piece indie-rock band and I've never had to turn it above noon on the volume knob. I've never owned a Vox and I'm always curious about how much a AC15TVH would change my sound. I know the Lightning is modeled on the AC15, but the Matchless doesn't have the Blue speaker in it. Part of me always thinks I'm missing out on part of that "Vox sound". Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on comparing the Lightning to the AC15TVH?

Thanks!

17. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

For both the AC30CC's and the AC15CC's, you must replace the tubes to get good reliability out of them. Then they're fine. Maybe your hand-me-down already had the tubes (especially the rect tube) replaced, so you did not notice any unreliability.

The first month of ownership of mine was very frustrating. Then I replaced all tubes and have been fine since.

18. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Yes, it's extremely loud. AC30s are loud amps.

On the subject of usable-volume breakup... everyone's tastes are different, but IMHO a mildly-driving tube screamer into a clean VOX is an exquisite sound.