VOX AC30 vs. AC15 (Clean / Headroom / Volume)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mewidmer, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mewidmer

mewidmer Member

So I've decided to sell/trade my '64 AA864 Bassman for a Vox and am curious if I could downsize to an AC15 and still be loud enough in a practice/live situation. I've played through an AC15 once in a rehearsal room and it was LOUD, but I seem to recall it was past clean and breaking up.....

Note I want to run the amp clean and using pedals to drive breakup...

I currently am running my bassman on around 3-4 (suprisingly powerful) and would be interested in knowing what volume people are running their Vox's at? At this level its still clean with plenty of headroom.

For those with Vox AC15, do you have the 1x12 or the 2x10, and what is your volume set at in rehearsals? Is the sound clean or breaking up?

AC30 Owners what is your experience? Whats your volume setting?

From reading prior threads, must people seem to be inclined to the AC30 as it has the most headroom.

Concern about AC30 is size/space and volume. I'm also looking at using an attenuator and love the idea of the Hayseed/JMJ models with 1/2 Power and Power Scaling.

Thanks for your input

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Some of it depends on the speaker you use, but...
    I dont think the AC-15 will fit what you are looking for. Kind of like a Deluxe Reverb the AC-15 breaks up at just about the volume where most drummers seem to find their "groove". Then you add the rest of a band in and its over for squeaky clean headroom. The AC-30 is a little more forgiving, but again, speaker selection can change the equation.

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

If you are thinking about an AC-15, definitely take a look at the Winfield Cyclone.

Click on Cyclone here:

http://www.winfieldamps.com/

It is a hand-wired in Vermont AC-15 clone for $750 new ($250 less than the Made in China Vox AC-15 Heritage head). I have one and can tell you that it has tremendous clean headroom for a 15 W amp, incredibly loud with a full band, competes no problem through a 1 x 12 cabinet when the other guitarist is playing a 410 Deville.

Not only that, but the head weighs just 12 pounds!

It is hands down the best amp I have owned in over 30 years of guitar playing.

4. mewidmer

mewidmer Member

Thanks for the inputs. On the speakers from what I've read the only choice is "alnico blue's". I guess the question then becomes Celestion or Weber or other options. I've also noticed that people mix and match speakers, so that sounds interesting.

5. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I don't really understand how loud people need to be on stage?
    I play out in clubs a lot and mic up an AC15 Heritage combo (which is a 1x12 with a Celestion Blue) I have a clean tone no problem at band levels (even with a hard hitting drummer). In fact I have power to spare. I can get the band pissed at me if I turn it up too much.
    Although, I don't have the combo pointed at my feet. I tilt it back a bit so it's pointing more towards my chest.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

7. mewidmer

mewidmer Member

Interesting on the cyclone. Will have to research that one. I see they also come in a 2x10 combo which I nice. I'm kinda partial to the the 2 x combo's as they seem to provide a fuller/more disbursed sound.

On the stage volume, my fear is always in showing up to play and you don't have the volume and when you turn your amp up it sounds like distorted crap. Some is due to the delta between a practice setting where you can setup to face each other and a stage. I had the experience in playing a small show, using a BF Princeton, not being able to hear, turning up to 8, and the sound just very ragged. Combine that with using effects it sounded like a muddy mess. Granted at the same show, my friends amp died right when we hit the stage, but it was a learning experience.

Net, it seems safer to always have more power and not need it, vs the one situation where you wish you had it....

Thus the dillema

Thanks for the responses.