Vox AC30BM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sfdoyle, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

Hey just wondering does anyone own or tried the Vox AC30 BM Brian May one knob signature model? and if so, whats the verdict? is it all that? I found at a real good price just wondering if I should try and swing it..

any feedback would be super, thanks
    Mel :AOK

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

For one channel, one knob, this thing is pretty good.

I was amazed how well it cleaned up, and based on guitar and volume knob, you can do great scream with the Treble booster. Fun amp.

EP

3. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

+1
    I picked this amp up about 6 months ago. Its a great amp. Loud as anything and amazing tone for no on board controls. If you're able to get a bargain on one I'd say do it with no hesitations.

4. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

yeah cool. I found one out here at Guitar Center that they decided to blow out for like 1K. I really wanted to get a Top Hat or Matchless as I'm having some huge craving for a Vox type tone....but since they offer this deal I just gave them a down payment on it to hold for me, probably go back to pick it up as I'm assuming even if I dont like it down the road, I'm sure it will be worth something down the road as they only made 500 of these. Ok thanks guys. I hope it takes pedals well. oh and my friend said although its PTP he believes it was made in China and the blue speakers as well.....any feedback on that if true? tks
    Mel

5. v-verb

v-verb Member

$1K???????? It is made in China but well made at that.

Nice!!

6. Telephile

Telephile Member

I have a Brain May. One of the best Vox tones I've heard. Has a little more mids or something that my other voxes didn't have. I think that may be why it overdrives so beautifully. Loud but not a lot of headroom. That is very cool.

7. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

Yup 1082.00 out the door. I guess I'll let the secrete out, it was in Guitar Center in El Cerrito, CA. The kid rep said 1200.00 out the door first then I just worked him and he said ok 1082.00 out the door. He said they are blowing alot stuff out cause of taxes or end of the year, some **** like that..so? who knows I didn't argue, he even let me put it on lay away, I threw down 250.00 on my credit card and I have a month to pick it up. So yeah I guess I'll be getting it sometime next month. I play for a only a bit w/a Tele as I'm a tele guy 98% of the time, it seem pretty cool, the foot boost in the high mode was WAY bright, and the low mode didnt do to much for me, so i'm hoping one of my zillion boutiquee pedals will do a better job of goosing it. Its kind of a beast though, never been a big fan of 2x12 combos, too big to move, at that point you might as well have a separte head and cab. oh well i'm sure it will rock. I was actually looking to get a Top Hat CR 1x12....but ? I guess that will have to wait.

8. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I like mine with a TS-9 better than the on board booster. Without that booster on you'll be able to control the total volume of the amp a lot easier. There's also a 15 watt/30 watt switch on the back of the amp.

Jeff

9. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

cool. so you're digging it? does it have all the chime and grind you would expect? so i'm assuming it takes pedals well?

10. jimijazz

jimijazz Member

That's an amazing steal!
    Also, the reason the boost is a bit bright, is because it's a treble booster, not a regular overdrive or full range boost. If you get the opportunity to crank the amp, then all will become clear, otherwise, you've got an AC30 normal channel for not very much money!

11. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

It's sounds great but it's too freakin loud for me.. I hurt my ears playing through it, so it's packed up in it's box so I can't get to it easy.

Jeff

12. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

its that freaking loud? yeah....I hear ya.. hmmm might decide to sell it after I get for a while....

13. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

At that price it's well worth picking up..

Jeff

14. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

Hey do you happen to know if the first preamp tube in the AC30BM is a EF86 preamp tube?

15. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

It has 2 12ax7's, a GZ34 and 4 El84's. No EF86.

16. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I wish they made that amp in a head version. IMO, it's the best sounding modern AC30 available. If I can find one for the price you paid, I'd buy it and put it in a head box.

Awesome amp and awesome deal.

Viva Guitar Center........:RoCkIn

17. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Damn. The blues alone are worth $500.00. Wish I hadn't just bought an AC30cch.

18. LHakim

LHakim Member

There was head version on ebay some months ago. The seller claimed it came from the factory that way.

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

As far as I know, the company never released a head version of the BM. If they did it would be a VERY rare bird.

I'd love to see it if you know the previous auction info.