• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vox AC30c2 makeover: Tubes and Speakers

Progman

I need some good tubes and 2 new speakers. I want my amp to COME ALIVE! I need three 12AX7 tubes, and four EL84 tubes. Can someone recommend me some good tubes to upgrade my amp? I heard groovy tubes are good, and so are EHX tubes. As for speakers, I have no idea what kind of speakers I should put in... I play Classic/Hard Rock and Blues. I also play 90's stuff like RHCP. I use numerous OD Pedals and my guitar is an American Deluxe Ash Strat.

phsyconoodler

JJ power tubes and Tung-sol preamp tubes are great in an AC30,but unless your amp has tired tubes it will only make it as good as it was when new.
Changing speakers won't do a lot as the Warfdales are good speakers already.A pair of Greenbacks might be better.Warehouse Guitar Speakers makes some Greenback clones that are really good.And cheap compared to real Celestions.Just as good IMHO.

Progman

JJ power tubes and Tung-sol preamp tubes are great in an AC30,but unless your amp has tired tubes it will only make it as good as it was when new.
Changing speakers won't do a lot as the Warfdales are good speakers already.A pair of Greenbacks might be better.Warehouse Guitar Speakers makes some Greenback clones that are really good.And cheap compared to real Celestions.Just as good IMHO.
My AC30 came with Greenbacks. I was doubting my amp yesterday but I just played through it again with different EQ settings and its back to good. I still might change the tubes though. Thanks!

dave_mc

I don't have much experience with voxes, but I'd just give some general advice.

greenbacks are good speakers, but like most guitar gear, objectively "good" doesn't always translate to subjectively "good" if you just don't happen to like them. If you still don't like the tone of the thing after keeping trying it as it is for a while, a speaker swap might be worth considering, in other words- even though the greenbacks are technically "good" speakers.

Trending Topics