Vox AC30cc issues, ADVICE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Senzu21, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Senzu21

Senzu21 Member

I recently bought a Vox AC30cc (December 15th) and have been really enjoying it. However, in the last few days it does not sound like it did before. When playing it sounds like someone turns the bass up all the way and then it returns to where it is set at, every few minutes. The amp has also got a rattle on certain notes, namely A or F#. I already replaced the stock tubes right after the holidays and thought maybe one of them were bad, but the stock tubes do the same thing. Do I give up on it and get a different one; I have a few days to return left? Give up on the custom classics and find something else? I already have $200+ in tubes, so its hard to decide.

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I've heard that the AC30CC combo is brutal on tubes...it seems pretty ridiculous that you'd have to replace them twice so soon, but stranger things have happened :eek:

3. Senzu21

Senzu21 Member

I replaced all of the tubes; pre-amp, power-amp rectifier. I used NOS Tungsram and BEL rectifier. The amp sounded so good, but the past few days it has been a dog. I then put all of the stock tubes back in and it continued to happen! I think I am going to return it and find something else. The 5 hours with new tubes may end up being my holy grail tone; so sweet and responsive.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

If you like the amp return it and get another one.

5. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

I bought a used Vox AC30 Head 6 months ago. It's getting dragged out the house about twice a week and it's working great, no issues ( knock on wood ). I haven't experienced what you have mentioned. If you can get a replacement, I would return it. I am digging my Vox so far.

6. mwbrock

mwbrock Member

Maybe vibrations from the amp are affecting a dodgy pot in the EQ circuit. Sounds silly, but have you tried turning the eq knobs when the problem starts?