Vox AC30cc...Whoa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riker4208, Jul 26, 2008.

1. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Just picked one up today. It came with the alnico blues....I couldn't say no to it as she was selling it cheap. This thing sounds so good with the blues. I really am stunned as I've had a ac306tb and didn't like it at all.

Should I even bother upgrading the tubes or what? I like the idea of perhaps doing the mod that effects the high end treble. I'll have to look into that.

Coming from playing a deluxe reverb, this thing sounds huge!!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think if you are going to gig at the very least you should pick up another set of power tubes. maybe grab a few lower priced nos preamp tubes to swap around. I suggest mike at KCA NOS Tubes.

Good luck, and congrats on picking up a great amp.

dk

3. riker4208

riker4208 Member

cool....I'll check out his recommendations for vox's

I might just leave the power tubes for now, they sound fine for now. I'll be doing the speaker wire clips though at least. I can't believe all the bs I've heard about these, they are better sounding than many high end el-84 boutique amps I've heard

4. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

is it new? replace all tubes straight away! it will save you stress, in a few weeks/months when they blow. very common, and a pain.

5. thudle

thudle Member

congrats on an awesome sounding amp. you definitely need to replace the stock rectifier tube asap. the ac30s are notorious for their rectifier tube problems. jj's are reliable.

6. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

The 2008 models come stock with Tung-Sol 12ax7s, EH EL84s, and a Sovtek GZ34, so they're all quality new production tubes. I've been cranking mine for six months on the stock tubes with no problems at all. I haven't heard of any reliability problems with any of the CCs manufactured in late '07 through '08.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would get a backup set of power tubes and rectifier tubes just in case.

Enjoy the amp. There are alot of simple mods to improve it if you want to go to that far.....

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Some folks have had bad experiences with the stock tubes. I did not. Mine was a few months old when I got it. Had original tubes. None needed replacing per se but I eventually decided to see what could be improved by replacing tubes. I stumbled upon a tremendous old GZ34 I had laying around for years and it sounded good and I knew it would be very durable. I eventually replaced the power tubes with old Teslas as well and these made a little bit of a tonal improvement. Also got what I felt was a minor improvement from a different tube in V1...don't even remember what it is. I don't think any of these changes were what I'd consider really big improvements, just nice little increments here and there.

The tube I'd be most concerned about right off though is the rectifier.

9. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Thanks guys. Mines a 2006 so I'll have to look into what's in there. I really just jumped on it cuz she was selling it with the blues for the same used price you see the normal speakers for. Now I'm kind of set back by how good it sounds. I'll have to look in to what the filtering switches do on the back. I'm sure it's in "another thead" though.