Vox AC30CC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tlester, Oct 14, 2005.

1. tlester

tlester Member

Hi all -

OK... give me the scoop on these? Are the Custom Classics the ones that people refer to as the "kork reissues"? if so, are they the more favorable ones on the market right now?

-Tom

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

The Vox name has been owned by Korg for years. The difference between the earlier AC30TB/6 and the AC30CCs lies in where they are manufactured. The earlier 30s were made in the UK, while the new ones are made in a new Korg facility in China.

The new ones, according to most Vox-heads (myself included), sound closer than anything in years to the old JMI AC30s of the early-to-mid sixties. They really spent a great deal of time and effort on the output transformers and other components to get that JMI sound.

However, as is to be expected with any new product, there have been widespread reports of build-quality issues, mainly stemming from poor fasteners and bad preamp tubes. That being said, the UK 30s also had their share of QC issues, so this is not all down to the new ones being made in China.

For the money, though, the new AC30CC is one of the best sounding mass-produced amps out there. If they can get their act together (and I believe they can), they'll have a bona fide category killer. Plus, the customer service from Korg has been unimpeachable.

One suggestion: if you're considering one, spend the extra money on the version that comes with the Celestion Blue speakers. They're worth it.

Read this review at Guitar Amplifier Magazine.

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Tom -

Bscepter's review above pretty much sums it up. The AC-30 CC's are the newest versions (they came out earlier this year), with some new features like channel linking, and reverb. They are made in China and have a surprisingly low price point.

Reviews of the early CC's were generally positive, but the early runs had some problems that were traced to some wonky pre-amp tubes. I think there's a second production run on its way to these shores that addresses some of the early complaints.

Run a search at the Plexi Palace/Vox board for lengthy discussions on the topic, pro and con. Check it out - Vox's designer, Steve Grindrod, has posted some replies:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=59b70cbce4d1fcd134d916aa25ae5e0e

The "Korg reissues" generally refer to the UK-made Vox AC-30s, from the 1990s up till this year's introduction of the CC's.

Asking 'which is better?' is like asking 'which flavor of ice cream is better?' - opinions vary!

- Kiwi

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I'm gonna go with my PP pal bscepter on this one.

The AC30CC is a wonderful investment. Definitely a very flexible but true to its roots AC30 when it comes down to. If you're looking to get the classic Vox tone, you can't go wrong for the price.

oh, and definitely go for some blue alnicos in this one. Celestions and Webers are both great if you get the CC instead of the CCx (which comes with the celestions already).

I used to have problems with mine. Alot. However, Korg replaced mine about three weeks ago with no cost to me, giving me a brand new amp. Remember, this series came out last spring, they have been working out the kinks. I purchased mine the minute it was released last April and I love the tones I get out of this Vox. In fact, when all the problems started to occur, I wanted a replacement, not a refund. I have found my sound in this amp. So far, so good with the new AC30 (some issues are already resolved on the production side), but some time on tour will tell.

Hope that helps a bit. Feel free to shoot any more questions up my way.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

That article makes me love my ac30 all over again :)

6. granite

granite Member

Quality control issues aside, the one thorn in the side of this amp is how difficult it is to work on them. If you want to do something as routine as change tubes, a substantial disassembly is required. For this reason, I sought out a high quality vox clone instead of going with the Vox CC. If Vox would redesign the amp to make this easier, it would be a true killer amp.

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

Me, too. I'm waiting on a Valvetech Hayseed 30, as we speak.

8. granite

granite Member

I went the Hayseed route myself as well.

9. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Well exccccccccuuuuusse me!!!:D

CT.

10. tlester

tlester Member

Well.... I just bit the bullet for a BadCat Black Cat. I'm excited!!! :D

-Tom

11. granite

granite Member

Congrats! Did you get a head or combo? The combo weighs a ton. One of the heavier combos out there, but sounds great.

12. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Ive had several ac30's a jmi,korg,handwired,and vox product.I just tried a cc with a 4X12 at GC and was blown away!Im sure the hayseed is built better but this thing is voiced so great that I must have one.

13. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I believe you hit the nail on the head. Having compared the Hayseed and the CC as well as a JMI at the same time I would agree that the Hayseed is built the best but that the CC sounds closer to the JMI - yes I tested them all through the same set of vox bulldogs...and that's not to say that the Hayseed sounds any worse per se, just less like the JMI than the CC does.

14. tlester

tlester Member

Head + matching 2x12.

15. granite

granite Member

Do you think this has anything to do with the stock OT that Rob uses verses let's say a MM Woden Clone OT?

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

Those were my thoughts, which is why I went for the MM OT, along with the Blues. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

17. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

The head is still quite heavy, but I`ll bet it`ll sound awesome with my Sunn 2X12 loaded with Greenback RI`s. I `ve been offered one in trade for my Super Reverb RI plus $100 bucks. SO tempting, but I do love the Super. What to do??

CT.