Vox AC30CC2 + Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul = Clip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by SgtThump, Jan 17, 2006.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I think I've finally figured out this AC30CC2. :) It's a strange amp when it comes to tweaking and stuff.

Anyway, the clip below is me playing my Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul through my Vox AC30CC2 with the stock Wharfedale speakers. It's mic'ed up with a Shure SM57.

It's just some noodling. Please disregard the shameful playing. lol... Oh yeah, I also switched the pickups up alot in this clip. This guitar has four push/pull pots that coil tap each pickup, put the pickups in and out of phase, and switch between series and parallel wiring. Very versatile.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/voxac30_1.mp3

The reverb is the free cheapo stuff that comes in Kristal recording software.

Chris

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Settings were:

Inputs Jumpered

Normal Volume = 2 o'clock

Top Boost Volume = 2 o'clock

TB treble = 12 o'clock

TB EQ = Standard

TB bass = 12 o'clock

Tone Cut = 12 o'clock

Master Volume = 10 o'clock

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Nice tones and playing! I love the tone at 1:33 whatever that setting is. Do you have a picture of that guitar. Sounds GREAT! Really varied tones.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey bro! Thanks... Here's a pic of the guitar. The flames look ok at an angle like this, but looking at the guitar straight on makes it look almost like a plaintop.

The sound you hear at 1:33 is both pickups in the stronger out of phase setting and either in series or parallel. I get confused. lol... Both pickups were on and both tone knobs were pulled. Sounds like a cocked wah or something. I dig it! The tones RIGHT before 1:33 is also out of phase, but the weaker of the two settings (either series or parallel).

It's also one of the very best playing and sounding guitars I've ever owned in my life. It's incredible.

[​IMG]

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Any constructive criticism about the tone in this clip?

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

I think it sounds great. The guitar covers a great range of tones and the amp seems to help each one shine equally. Definitely a tighter, more modern sounding gain than my tbx offers. Overall, very impressive sounds!

7. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Sounds great, Chris! Glad to hear you're really digging that Edwards. I ordered one last week (inspired by your thread no less :)) so hopefully it'll be here soon. I didn't get one with the "Super Circuit" though as I just wanted a straight-up LP as I have a CS Strat to get skanky sounds with already. In the meantime I'll just listen to your clip to ease the GAS pains. :)

8. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Very nice tonal variety apparent in this clip. Sounds nice and meaty (but not too muddy) in full humbucker mode (I thought it was, anyways) and the coil tap options thin it out a bit and note articulation is more apparent and cleaner. Sounds like a lively guitar as well. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this axe and what did you pay for it?

Mike

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Awesome! Please report back when you get it! A friend of mine here in town just got his and he's equally as impressed as I am. It's not the "end all" guitar, but it is a nice playing, nice sounding high quality axe that's definitely worth the price paid. That's all I can ask!

Chris

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I got it on eBay from Katana Guitars (mijsixstringskatana). He's in Japan and ships these guitars to the US for $125. Kinda pricey on shipping, but I guess that's not bad considering the distance it's travelling.

A typical Edwards LP copy from him is $699 + $125 shipping. Mind was around $1,000 + $125 shipping, but only because it's "aged", has the Super Circuit switching system, a different "Pageburst" color, the slimmer Page neck profile, etc... It's supposed to be a replica of the Gibson Jimmy Page model.

I thought that was kinda pricey for a MIJ guitar, but I'm glad I got it. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a white LP Custom copy next.

Chris

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! I had a heck of a time getting a good recorded tone with this rig when I first got it a few months back. I was going about it totally wrong. I was dialing it in all muddy sounding with too much preamp gain, etc... I think I might've figured it out now, as I LOVE the tone in this clip.

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Also, "Edwards" is made by ESP and only for sale in Japan. They can't sell them in the US, because of the Gibson style headstock and body shape. At least, that's what I've been told.

13. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I've been eyeing this amp... and I'm curious what you mean by the quote above? Is it hard to persuade good tones from it? The settings you listed seem like it was pretty loud! Is that the way to make it shine? Thanks for posting. Sounded full.

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. The amp has tons of switches and stuff on it and learning how all of those controls work together takes time. It's not hard to get a good sound right off the bat, though. But I've been trying to get a good recorded tone for a short while and I've finally found the settings that sound good for that purpose.

And yes, this clip was recorded VERY LOUD! The amp sounds great at stage volumes and above and only decent and bedroom volumes (just my opinion). You can feel the low end kick in when the master volume gets up to a certain point. I guess it's a combination of the power tube distortoin and speakers being pushed.

15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I didn't like the beginning tone all that much, but I loved the tones you were getting at the end. Really reminded me of early ZZ Top.