Vox AC30CC2 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnCovach, Mar 2, 2008.

1. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

There's a shop near me that has a new AC30CC2 for $1000, with a tag noting that the list price is $1400. This amp has probably been sitting in the shop for a while, because the list price is now $1650 and they can be had for $1199. I already have an AC30 (w/Blues) that I bought before production moved to China, but I'm thinking about picking up this new one to have a back-up.

Here's the question: If this amp is a year or two old (or more), will it have all the same features as a recent one? Have any standard features on this amp changed since the list price was $1400?

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

Features are the same, although they changed the stock tubes at some point, I think the recent ones comes with Tung-Sol preamps.

3. JohnCovach

Thanks. I'd prefer to give NorthCoast my business, but the savings here make this amp quite attractive. If there's no reason to pay the extra cash (recently added features), why do so? Maybe I'll buy the road case from NorthCoast (I already have the nifty cover and stand).

4. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

If your still interested in the AC30CC you should check GC online site. They have them for sale on there for 790$ or something like that. Interestingly, they have a AC30CC and the new AC30HW right next to each other at the local GC. I definitely like the hand wired variant better (more organic sounding, etc) but I would in no way say the CC sounded like garbage when A/B with the HW variant. Maybe the HW will be more reliable, but remember HW in china is probably different than HW in the US.

5. JohnCovach

Thanks for the tip, but the $799 AC30 is a "refurbished" one, and those are dependent on availability. Currently, the GC site lists the refurbished AC30 as unavailable, but you have to try to add it to your cart to find that out.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    John,
    At some point I know Vox made the speaker cable alot longer. On the early ones the speaker cable was so short that you couldn't even pull the chassis out to change the tubes. I have one of the longer speaker cable variants and it sounds outstanding. It is one of my alltime favorite amps and I have owned alot. Come to think of it I think Vox might even make them now with a speaker cable jack and input. But that is all I can think of for changes. I'd say if it sounds good who cares about an so called improvements. If you worry about improvements on amps you'll never be satisfied. I have finally come to realize that if it sounds good don't waste your time a/bing or you will be endlessly disappointed.

8. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

I have early CC2, replaced tubes with NOS, put longer cable and Celestion Blue in.
    What a wonderful sounding amp it is now ! Great.

9. JohnCovach

Thanks guys--this is very helpful!

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

CCs made before Jan '06 had the speaker and reverb cables running into the chassis (they now have external jacks), had generic preamp tubes (they now use Tung-Sols), had a slower max trem speed that could thud (now fixed), and had the wrong value cap on the effects loop output, so the older CCs lost low end when the loop was on (since fixed, and an easy fix if someone has an earlier amp - just swap out C109 with a 10uf cap).

Beyond that, the amps are the same.

11. sqadan

sqadan Member

I love my AC30CC2... $1000 is probably a decent price.

12. JohnCovach

If I see the jacks for the reverb and speaker cables, can I then assume it's post-Jan. '06?

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

I think that's a safe assumption.. I have the older one and I'm probably going to take it to a tech to have speaker / reverb jack installed so I can pull the chassis without having to desolder the leads.

14. JohnCovach

Follow-Up:

I bought the amp. It turns out that it is a recent amp that they got before the price went up. One of the owners is a Vox fanatic (owns five) and is very knowledgeable. This shop is also authorized for Vox repairs, so I've got a while to burn this baby in. They even beat the price I mentioned above, so I'm happy about the deal. Great shop!