Vox ac30cc212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by les_paul_strat, Nov 8, 2005.

1. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

Im pretty sure thats what is called. I have always wanted an ac 30 and this seems to be priced well. What do you all think about this amp

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Lots of info on this amp here and over at the Plexi Palace

Short answer: fantastically amazing tone, extremely heavy, questionable build quality and preamp tubes (though this is being remedied as we speak -- if you get one, try to get a newer one).

Bottom line: if they get the kinks ironed out, it will be the best value in a mass produced amp today, hands down.

Oh, and spend the extra five hundy for one loaded with Vox Blues. Either that or order a pair from Avatar Speakers and save a few bucks.

And there's a great article at GuitarAmplifierMagazine.com about them.

3. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

5. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

what you you mean i should spend an extra 500 and get one loaded with vox blues.. what is that

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

Vox Blues are AlNiCo speakers made by Celestion of England. They were original equipment on most AC30s in the 1960s. They're still made the same way in the UK by Celestion. Unfortunately, that also means they're pricey.

Many, many people will say that the Vox Blues (or later gray and silver Celestions) are as important to the tone of the AC30 as the output transformer and the circuit design itself.

The people who designed the new CCs spent a lot of time and money on the transformer. The circuit, too, is correct (with the addition of a master volume and reverb). But the choice of speakers is up to you.

The stock Wharfedale speakers sound pretty good, but the Blues sound better to most people's ears. Now, whether they're $500 better... well, that's for you to decide.

Do you have a store near you that has this amp in stock? You should definitely "try before you buy." The AC30 is a unique amp with a unique sound; it isn't for everyone. But, for many people, "that sound" is the sound of heaven.

7. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

The only place i really buy gear from is about two hours away and i would definatley play it first. I have just been so attracted to ac 30's ever since i picked up a guitar

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, personally, I think they're the greatest amp of all time.

Here's the Blues version at Musician's Friend.

And it's actually $600 more. You'd be better off buying the thousand-dollar model and buying a pair of Blues from Dave at Avatar speakers. He'll get you a pair for $500 or under.

9. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

Get a Hayseed 30 for the same price/cheaper!!!!! IT'S PTP HANDWIRED and NOT made in China!!!!

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Shhh! Rob needs a vacation!

11. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

The short answer in my humble opinion is that the VOX AC30 CC is a wonderful amp - the recommendation to go with the Celestion Blues is a good one as well. I have not played a Hayseed - I have heard good things about that amp as well. As someone else recommended - go over to the Plexi Palace and visit the VOX Forum for reviews on the new VOXes. It is true that the new VOXes are not hand wired and yes, they are made in China, but they are very very good amps.

I actually bought the head and am pairing it up with a cabinet built by Bob Burt...and shared with my Constellation.

-- Barr

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have the Hayseed 30 with Webers. Love the amp. I have played the CC several times. The warfdales do sound good, and for the $ it is a fantastic sounding amp with lots of cool extras. The Anlico sound has that extra somthing that makes the Vox sound IMHO.
    The Blues/Webers seem to crunch Quicker, and the upper mid complexity is wonderfull.

If you want "THE" Vox sound, spend the extra for Webers, or the Real deal...Celestions.

I should have bought the Hayseed in Head format so I would have more Flex with speaker cabs. I think the AC30CC head runs $850, and that is a great buy in my book.